CCW Class Yesterday

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CA357, Sep 4, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I took my Concealed Carry class yesterday and I passed.

In CA you must also qualify with the firearms that you'll carry because they are listed on the permit. :rolleyes:

So, I qualified with my Sistema 1911, but didn't qualify with the new RIA 1911 and I want both 1911's on there.

I just picked it up last Tuesday, ran 350 rounds through it for function testing on Thursday and then tried to qualify with it on Saturday. I'll hit the range with it a couple of times between now and the 17th when I can re-qualify with it. On Thursday, I was checking for function rather than trying to get dialed in with the pistol.

After that, I'll turn in the actual application. My background check is done and the Chief gave me the go ahead to take the class and submit the application.

There's one other thing left to do other than re-shooting the course of fire; I have to have three character reference letters. I've asked my three best friends, but they've been dealing with some stuff and haven't gotten them to me yet. :eek:

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

You mean other than move to a non communist state? LOL

Maybe they aren't as good a friend as you thought, or are afraid of receiving a visit from the govt?

Good Luck... I understand you don't have an opportunity to relocate, but that's a tough state to even own a firearm.

3. CA357

I'm a fair hand with a pistol, but this was different from standing at a table and aiming at a target. I learned that I must now practice at the action pistol range rather than the regular target range.

This is the course of fire:

Definitions:

Gun Ready Position - starting with the gun out of the holster, pointed down @ approx. 45º, off target, trigger finger in the Register Position.

Hip Position - weapon holstered with hand resting on grip.

Surrender Position - weapon holstered and hands above shoulders.

Register Position - (1) finger off trigger and outside the trigger guard, (2) trigger finger braced on the receiver/frame, other than the bow of the trigger guard.

Semi-Automatic

3 Yard Line: 5 Rounds Total

1. From the "Gun Ready" position, fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds with strong hand only. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

2. From the "Gun Ready" position, fire 3 rounds in 4 seconds: 2 rounds to the body with strong hand only, 1 round to the head strong hand supported. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command. (Failure Drill)

7 Yard Line: 20 Rounds Total

1. From the “Surrender” position, draw and fire 5 rounds, strong hand supported in 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

2. From the “Hip” position, draw and fire 5 rounds, strong hand supported in 4 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

3. From the “Hip” position, draw and fire 2 rounds standing, strong hand supported. Drop to kneeling position and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds kneeling, weak hand unsupported within 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

4. From the “Surrender” position, draw and fire 2 rounds standing, strong hand supported. Drop to a kneeling position and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds kneeling, strong hand supported within 15 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

15 Yard Line: (Barricade) 5 Rounds Total - "Surrender Position"

1. On command, approach barricade at a hurried pace, draw and fire 2 rounds strong hand supported from standing position behind barricade. Drop to a kneeling position behind barricade and make a magazine switch. Fire 3 rounds strong hand supported from kneeling position (strong side) behind barricade within 18 seconds. Cover target till safe and holster weapon on command.

Reloading:

When firing from 7 & 15 yards, a magazine switch will be required regardless of capacity. Range Officers will be observing to ensure that you keep your firearm pointed down range and your finger is off the trigger at all times when drawing, holstering or reloading your firearm. Violating these rules are grounds for immediate disqualification and dismissal.

Scoring:

Passing Score = 75%

A total of 30 rounds will be fired at the target. In order to qualify, 23 of the 30 rounds fired must be within the white outer rings to score as a hit.

Strikes breaking the white outline of the outer ring count as a hit.

4. CA357

I'll be one of the fortunate to be able to legally carry. Actually there are quite a few CCW's issued but they are in less populated counties where the real people live.

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

how big is the outer ring?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don, you got three friends? :p

Is Two Ball Cane helping you? ;)

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Wow in florida my CCW class was 2hrs class just general knowledge and 1 hour range but actually all i had to do was shoot 5 rds out of a ruger target .22 and 5 rds out of a .38 spl and that was IT and 2 old people in the class had to have the guy pull the hamer back for them and one even turned around in the lane with the weapon swingin around musta passed 5 people as she turned around AND THEY BOTH PASSED. i mean a 5yo could pass the ccw here and fl reciprocates with 34 states

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Isn't living in Amador County cool?:cool:

9. CA357

That's an interesting idea Cane.

It's a B27 target and I should be able to do well. My problem is that I am not used to movement when I shoot.

I qualified for the action pistol range at my home range by drawing and firing five rounds, changing mags and firing two rounds. That was the qualification. That's the extent of my drawing and firing, magazine changes, shooting from behind cover and movement until the course of fire yesterday.

Considering my lack of experience, I'm grateful that I qualified at all. I know what I need to practice now and I'm sure I'll qualify with the RIA on the 17th.

I also think I'll look into shooting in the competitions so I can elevate the skills I acquire. By nature I don't usually care for competitions, but these could be life saving.

They're relatively inexpensive and much cheaper than Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or somewhere.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds like the "gun show" training. It is about volume and money.

I teach the class for CCW, in Florida, and I assure you my students leave with more knowledge than they came with, and they usually are ready to stop shooting, cause they are wore out.:D I prefer to teach two students at the time and will never teach more than four at the time.

When we finish the NRA class, that trains in the use of ONE handgun, we shoot heaps and gobs of revolvers and pistols so that they get a chance to see what they like. I have had more than one student who wished they and not already bought a handgun before the class, 'cause they found something that worked much better for them.

I use the classes to finance my god fosaken Mosin Nagant habit, I really enjoy teaching the classes and my students and I have a damn good time and they get their money's worth. Its a win/win.

11. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

yea.... there was maybe 14 people in my class including an upper 80's elderly couple who couldnt even cock the hammer back on the .38 we shot without the instructor doing it for them and all passed.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Sounds like a good test of competency to me. Is there a written test on what constitutes 'personal defense' and what doesn't?

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is specifically not addressed in the Florida CCW classes for fear of lawyers. However, in Florida, we have an excellent resource book, written by an attorney who's practice is defending gun cases. The book is updated at the end of every session of the legislature to take into account any changes in the law.

This book is written in language the average man or woman can understand, and he gives examples of how easily you can go to prison if you do the wrong thing. Some of the stories will scare the pants off of you.

When I teach the CCW class this book is on the table and I strongly suggest that everyone buy it and read it, then read it again.

I am not, in any way associated with the author and don't want to advertise the name on the forum, but a google search will find the book.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

CA, see if there is any competition shooting going on in your area (IDPA or USPSA).

Go through a couple of courses of fire. Use the experience to practice.
    (And you might make a couple of friends there.)

15. CA357

There was a written test as well, but it was just common sense. It was all true/false and multiple choice.

It was a good class and I'm glad I picked this particular course. I learned my shortcomings and know what to work on.

It's very different drawing a condition one 1911 and safely putting it into action then just picking it up from a target and firing at a target.

16. CA357

Update:

I passed the test and qualified with my 50+ Y.O. Sistema 1911. I am going to attempt to re-qualify with the Rock Island 1911 this coming Saturday.

I picked it up on a Tuesday, shot it for the first time on Thursday and attempted to qualify with it on Saturday. I didn't shoot it well enough to qualify with it. So I'm going to hit the range this week and practice some more and try again.

Here in CA, the handguns that you will carry are listed on your permit. I want to carry the Rock Island rather than the Sistema. God forbid that I ever actually get involved in a shooting, I will probably never see the pistol again. So, I'd rather lose the RIA rather than my sweet old Sistema.

I'll submit the formal application the following Monday. I'm also still waiting for three character references from friends. I have to light a fire under them because I need the letters to go with the application.

The Chief essentially told me I have the permit when he told me to go ahead and take the CCW class.

I have decided to start going to the IDPA shoots at my range. The class showed me how much I need to learn about defensive pistol shooting.

17. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

Thumbs up!

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.