CCW bypasses background checks

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by blucoondawg, Mar 1, 2012.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I just found out that in some states, such as Kansas, holding a CCW permit waves the NICS background check for buying firearms as long as the permit has been issued in the state of the purchase and has been issued in the last 5 years. This is legal according to the Brady Law of 1998. If that is legal according to the Federal Gov't laws then why isn't this the case in WI and other states who have concealed carry?

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Yep Idaho is the same way. Just show your ccp and pay the man for the gun and you are on your way to the range with a new toy. No background check, and no wait.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

In MI, it's because some stores (usually big box) do that just because they don't believe the conceal license is adequate.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

It's the same here in Iowa, it was like that in NC when I lived there as well. I haven't bought from a big box store but I think places like Gander Mountain will run it anyways.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

With a Florida CCW license the NICS is still required, but the waiting period is waved.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Does that work in Texas?

7. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

CHL holders in Texas must fill out the transfer application, but no other checks are required. No wait.

8. Retaks

Retaks New Member

In PA you still have all the checks and paperwork to go through.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Sweeeeeet!

10. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Here in Pa., a CCW is not valid to bypass the Insta-Check. You still have to submit to one, but no waiting period, unless there is a denial and then you have to appeal it if it's invalid. That happens very infrequently unless you have a record.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A Texas CHL affords the holder to bypass the NICS check. Interestingly, my Peace Officer credentials do not afford me the same privelege. I still have to wait for the NICS check. I can get a PO CHL for about $35, but have not gotten around to it.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

If you have a CCW you shouldn't have to be subject to further background checks or any waiting period since the CCW is issued by the state who was supposed to do all the checks. It really isn't that big of a deal for most people but I have 2 friends, a father and son both with the same name, and almost every time they buy a gun they get jerked around for some reason. It has taken them up to 3 weeks in the past to get a long gun which is supposed to be instant check and take her home. If they would just look at the CCW like some states it would avoid a lot of frustration with people who have to deal with those kind of situations.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

CCW waives WA States waiting period but not the check

Tack

14. etbob9

etbob9 Member

Georgia has a Ga. Weapons License allowing you to carry
    openly or concealed, a handgun, or knife over 5in. in
    length. You may carry a long gun without a license.

There is no background check if you have a GWL and no
    waiting period for anyone to buy a gun.

15. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Well here in Illinois we don't have ccw....man I hate this state.

16. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

Also if you are active duty military you don't need the WCL, although I got one just for reciprocity with other states.

17. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

As of 1 July 2011, Nevada CCW holders do not have to go through the background check (saving them $25). Unfortunately, only those who GOT their CCW on or after 1 July 2011 will be able to take advantage of this. Those who already HAVE their CCW still have to put up with it. The Nevada Sheriffs' Association is in talks now to make that retroactive to ALL CCW holders. As for any wait, if you have ever purchased a handgun in Nevada, there is no wait (original wait is only 3 business days) for any subsequent handgun purchases.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

In Wyoming if you have a CCW you do not need a Brady check. We do not have waiting periods. In Wyoming you may carry a concealed or open carry without a permit. But in order to void the Brady Law you need a state issued CCW. The state CCW can be issued by mail to residents.:)

19. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

In Indiana you were able to purchase without checks until we got a Democrat ( Frank O’Bannon ) in the governors office and he decided a check on every weapon would enable the state to better control ( read restrict ) the weapons.

Remember every time a check is done in your name it is recorded!

Now we are creating another data base to use against us at a time of the governments choosing!

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I can understand the check, even with the CCW. There is nothing to say that, since you got your license, you haven't been convicted of a crime that would make you ineligible for gun purchases.

Since I hardly ever buy anything that is not C&R eligible any more, all I do is hand over a copy of that, the necessary money, and I am out the door. Or I deal with private sellers where there is no hasssle at all.