CCW Appeal

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Chef Ward, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Chef Ward

Chef Ward New Member

I need a good CCW attorney.I was denied my CCW based on a dismissed charge from 26 years ago. Does anyone have an attorney to recommend or the proper steps to take?

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

T
    That would depend on what state you are located in.

3. Chef Ward

Chef Ward New Member

I am located in Clark County Nevada. I tried the 3 attorneys selected by the NRA and none of them are practicing anymore.

4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

U can buy a CCW and not conceal it...... You might be referring to a CCL?

5. Chef Ward

Chef Ward New Member

In Nevada it's referred to as a CCW license. Know any good lawyers in Vegas?

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member Supporter

I might contact the agency that denied it, find out what steps can be taken. Could be an issue with the application. In Louisiana, you have to have notarized copies of the disposition of most court cases, even a divorce. The disposition (hope that is the correct term) could be listed incorrectly in the court records, resulting in a denial.

Google shows at least one Gun lawyer near Vegas, seems to specialize in arrests for gun use, but offers free consultations. Sorry, don't know any lawyers there.

MisterMcCool and Rifling82 like this.
  7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact the state's firearms rights organization.

Everybody should be a member of their state organization. Nevada's a mess now because people wouldn't get involved. /soapbox

MisterMcCool, kfox75 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Before this goes any further. Chef are you able to purchase a firearm? Especially a handgun?

Fred_G and Rifling82 like this.
  9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Denied for a charge that was dismissed? That’s nuts.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Get used to it, it is coming. If you stepped on a crack in grade school, you will be denied CC, FOID, etc., the theory being folks don't have the money, time or general wherewithal to fight the bureaucracy.

Statists are gonna state.

Shopfox likes this.
  11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This guy was accused of stepping on a crack; then the charge was dismissed.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Now he may have to spend money on attorney to get his CC permit. Or, from the local gubmint's preferred perspective, get frustrated by the process and give up. Vegas is a Demoncrat stronghold in NV.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  13. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking a possible clerical error on how the dismissal was recorded. Like I said, I am not a lawyer, but some things can get mixed up.

Or he could have stepped on two or three cracks. :)

kfox75 likes this.
  14. partdeux

We had a case in MI, CPL was suspended, charges dismissed, CPL not "legally" restored. Person then did something that some LEO didn't like and they arrested him. The charges on that arrest were dismisses... but he was found guilty on carrying a concealed firearm. He ran out of money in the fight.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I am shocked that no one else has aksed this, but, Chef, what was the charge?

Some of you may remember a guy on here, Zman, who had two charges from when he was 17, an over length knife and baseball bat in his car, when stopped for driving as a teen in NY, who had his pistol permit granted, was able to buy a handgun after getting said permit, then had to turn it in, and was denied for a NRLTCF in PA, who had to fight all that crap, from way back when, in court, to get his permit back, then had to wait on the feds no less.

every state has it'sown list of no go charges,and you may have one in your past Chef, even though it was dismissed, and that is what is flagging you now. Only advice I can give is start calling lawyers in Clark County, and within state, outside of Clark County, until you find one that can help you.

Now, I would say, if it's still legal there, simply OC if you can legally own a firearm, but, make sure it is legal to do so still, and that what is showing up is not something that would bar you from owning one, BEFORE doing so.

it is possible that NV has something on the books preventing you from getting that CCWL there, but not banning ownership. Here in PA, if you have something in your record that establishes you as a habitual drunkard for instance, you can still buy, own, and OC, whuile sober, a handgun here, but, the state bars you from obtaining a LTCF.

16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Any criminal lawyer should be able to get your record expunged for a nominal amount of money. Then you can just reapply and show a perfectly clean record.

17. partdeux

charges were dismissed... nothing to expunge.

kfox75 and MisterMcCool like this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Contact the USCCA and see what they've got for attorney recommendations.

JADAC and MisterMcCool like this.
  19. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the OP was looking for a way to circumvent the law. And we did not provide that. And he has moved on. To troll another forum. Hope im wrong. But my gut instinct tells me otherwise from past post on other forums.

Rifling82 and MisterMcCool like this.
  20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

How you going to circumvent being denied? Get Michelle Obama to make a couple calls, maybe?

Fred_G likes this.