CCW 9mm - which is the best?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GlockBurg, Jun 16, 2013.

1. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

I currently have a Glock 26 and am very happy with it. It does at times feel a bit bulky in my pocket and heavy. I am looking for possibly getting a summer carry weapon that is smaller and lighter but stays 9mm. Make no mistake about it, I am a Glock man but I am looking for something a little smaller... I would welcome advice and input to help me decide on my next purchase.

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

S&W M&P Shield in either 9mm or 40 S&W. Striker fired like you Glock 26 and only 2/3 of the width of it.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Beretta makes the Nano. Striker fired, trigger similar to the Glock but IMO a bit smoother and its very concealable. Less than 18 oz. unloaded and .9" wide.

4. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I'm actually looking to get my first CCW and have heard good things about the SCCY CPX-2 2nd generation. Made in US and comes from a small family run machine shop. Under $300 for budget minded folks like me!!

5. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I'll second the M&P Shield. I own one and it's great to shoot and very reliable. I also was considering the Kahr cw9 which has a great reputation. It actually felt a little better in my hand and the trigger is nice and smooth. I went with the shield because it also feels very comfortable in hand and I own a Glock 22 and the trigger has a similar feel. I have no regrets with my choice.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I EDC the Kahr PM 9 but if your a GLOCK guy you may not like the Kahr trigger.

The new XDS 9 is considerably more compact than your GLOCK and has a similar, "I'd say better" trigger. Handled one yesterday in 9 mm. They come with 2 (7) round mags and my LGS had it priced at $539.00

Tack

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Kahr CM9. I carry it most every day in a leather pocket holster. It will disappear in most any pair of pants. It is easy to forget that it is there. I have shot FMJ, JHP and even soft lead handloads. It has performed flawlessly. The trigger is smooth as glass. It is a long pull. But there is no other safety. So it needs to be long. It is really accurate for a gun of its size. I have nothing negative to say about it. And I own a bunch of carry type guns.

Attached Files:

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Die hard glock guys can't have a real pocket sized pistol. As you know the g26 ain't a pocket pistol and the shield , cw9 , xd-s9 and other like sized pistol are not ether. Well atleast if you don't want have a BIG lump in your pocket. Maybe a smaller Diamondback DB9, may work for you just be darn sure its from the latest lot of handguns made. Not old inventory. It does have a lite weight of under 13oz, a light trigger pull under 5lbs . It even breaks down like a glock but it is a DA trigger type . http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Diamondback/Pistol/DB9/9-mm/Variant-1

I have carried a cm9 for 3 years and am very pleased with it but again the trigger is of a DA type. .

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I love my Glocks, too, but there's no way any Glock is really suitable for pocket carry. Even the 26 IMO rides better in a belt holster.

There are a growing number of compact, polymer framed, single stack 9mm available today from most of the major manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Sig, Beretta, Kel-Tec etc.). As I Glock fan, I'd suggest looking at the Kahr offerings first. I think most of the others have manual safeties and my personal feeling are, I want all my SD guns to operate the same way. All with or all without manual safeties. All SA or all DA or all striker.

YMMV of course. ;)

11. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

I'm another vote for a Kahr CM9 (or pricier PM9) I absolutely love mine! But on a side note I don't like GLOCKS. They shoot well, just don't fit my hand right.

Also I carried a KelTec PF9 for a while and it carried awesome but it was a nightmare. Never functioned/shot well at all and the barrel lug broke with less that 250 rounds through it. KelTec has had it over 2 months even though I emailed them on week 6 (their approximate turn around) and they said it should be done soon. I'm gonna email them again this week.

12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Hands down to me the lc9 is the absolute best carry pistol no doubt about it. It's the best feeling compact 9 that I've ever held and the accuracy for such a small gun is honestly immaculate.

13. FL-panhandle

FL-panhandle New Member

I have a S&W M&P shield in the .40 and its a tad bit bulky for shorts IMO. I had this same question and chose the Kel Tec pf9
    I went to my LGS and held & dry fired several small 9 mm (diamondback , SCCY, Nano) the Nano felt the best but was a little out of my price range so went for the Kel Tec
    It's on layaway.... Hope it's not a lemon

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Kel Tec P-3AT that I carry a lot. I also have a P-11. Both pistols fit in my pockets without any problems. The only problem I have with the P-11 is getting it away from my wife. She carries the P-11 almost every day. The P-11 was a dust catcher until I put a "white's trigger stop" on it. Since I installed the trigger stop on the P-11 it shoots one ragged hole at 15 yards. The white's trigger stop will improve the accuracy of any DA pistol with a long trigger pull.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1 for the Shield!
    I have the Xds9 Bitone but i'm waiting for Raven to make the Phantom holster.. then i'll start carrying the Xds9.

Attached Files:

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

No Doubt!

Love my LC9,..but also like the Sccy! 3 extra rounds is something to think about.

17. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Thank you all! This is great info

18. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to pick up a copy of the SCCY CPX-2 2nd gen. Thus far I have no complaints and have found its accuracy to be on par with most compact pistols. I've found it shoots to point of aim at about 10 yds, with both factory and hand loaded 115 gr, fmj and rnl ammo.

One thing of note, and mentioned in the user manual, it is NOT +P rated, so choice of ammo needs to be considered. I had only a couple of small complaints and both minor. Bottom rear of the grip, back of the magizine well, the grip didnt fit the mag. base well leaving a couple of small sharp points that dug into my hand. a bit of work with the mrs. emery board smoothed those sharp points up and made them flush fitting with the mag. base.
    The other issue for me is i'd like to see a more rounded trigger. the serrated flat faced trigger will abrade the finger a little if you shoot it alot.
    Over all i'm pleased with the quality and for those not familiar with the SCCY, it carries a lifetime warranty that stays with the gun.

19. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

When I held the sccy the grip was way to wide for my hands

20. rickster

rickster New Member

Take a look at the Ruger LC9 and the Taurus PT709.