CCR Refinishing and my 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Jul 8, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This is the continuing saga of my 1927 Sistema Colt. The pistol had been reblued by the gunsmith that did the custom work, but I wasn't happy with the bluing, although I tried to convince myself that it was okay. So, I applied a CeramaCoat finish from Midway. It looked okay, kind of like a Parkerized finish. But again, I thought the pistol deserved better. I also had problems reassembling it for some reason.

So, about three months ago I sent my beloved pistol to Brad and Mary at CCR Refinishing in Tennessee. I never spoke with Brad, he was always working away in the shop. All of my contact was with Mary and I must tell you that she is a wonderful lady and is a gun person who "gets it".

So, today a heavy package arrived and to my surprise and delight, my 1911 was back at home.

The pistol has been refinished in "House Black", a matte finish with just the slightest sheen. The finish is called Cera Hide, a proprietary finish that Brad came up with after years of experimentation.

I also had Brad fit an extended slide stop. You see, Brad is a gunsmith as well, not just a refinisher.

I have arthritis and sometimes it's pretty rough for me to rack the slide, so this is an immense improvement for me.

Anyway, these are just good people that have talent, but more importantly, integrity.

I highly recommend their services and their prices are more than reasonable.

Here's a link to their website and a few pics of my 1911: CCR-REFINISHING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leg_McMuffin

Leg_McMuffin New Member

looks great dude. how long did it take to get shipped back?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Don, I'm seriously considering having them do their special parkerizing on that ported 1911 I have. The folks on the Sig forum believe they walk on water and from the pix I've seen it's probably true...

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Impressive! Thanks for the info.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Glad to hear of a company doing good business.

6. russ

russ New Member

Wow CA, that turned out amazing! They do good work indeed.

7. CA357

It was about three months from start to finish. It was well worth the time, it's much nicer than than my poor pics show.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice to see she's finally back, Don. Looks great!

9. CA357

Thanks M14sRock. We do like us some Sistema's. :D

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Absolutely!!! I love Systemas and most old 1911's in general. Should have bought 100 of them when they were under $200.

One of these days I will come up to Sac and shoot yours.

11. CA357

It will be my pleasure. :cool:

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Cool. I'll bring some toys. And plenty of ammo.

13. skimbell

skimbell New Member

CCR does some amazing work. I've got a CCO with them right now. They've had it for a loooong time-new sight problems-but I talked to Mary yesterday and she told me that the guns about ready to ship.
    I've got another Colt that I'm sending in in a week or so. Mary's assured me that it will have a much shorter stay with them.
    I had the gun below done by CCR last year. It is actually much nicer than it looks here. The CeraHide finish is very nice looking and tougher than nails.
    I'm real happy with what I've had done at CCR.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Here is a really nice Sistema that I've had for years. I had it reblued about 10 years ago. I know, one shouldn't for collector value, but this one isn't for sale. It's tight and shoots great, and the numbers all match. The hammer spur, trigger and mainspring housing are checkered and not serrated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  15. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Pic of the other side.

Attached Files:

16. CA357

That's really sweet Byrd. If mine had looked that way, I wouldn't have messed with it.

This is what it looked like when I bought it. The barrel was shot out, the rear sight was rounded off and the frame and slide were pitted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice looking Systema, Byrd.

18. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Yeah, mine was in better shape than that before I had it reblued. The gun is really tight and an excellent shooter. I still have the original black grips also. They have some wear on them so i out on the brown plastic arsenal ones.
    They are all cool, no matter what condition!!

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very true.

20. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Man, I wish the Argentine gun industry could still produce pistols as good as the old Sistemas. Thanks for sharing those pics, it's nice to see those old warriors in the hands of people who value them.