CCI shotshells

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by patriotjoe, Aug 15, 2009.

1. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

Is it ok to fire cci shotshells thru my Marlin 60? One shot at a time of course. I have some trash varmits that I want to keep out of my yard.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I've never used the shotshells, so I'll wait for Tango to chime in.
    What kind are roaming your yard? I'm not sure on your ammo situation, whether theres a selection or not, but what I've used to kill annoying varmits are Hollow Points. Usually a 1 shot does the trick, but I'm always ready for a follow up shot. I've noticed they are considerably more expensive, as CCI is, but I purchased 50rds of HP's for under $2 at walmart.

S.S.

3. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

My neighbors Pitt Bulls. I don't want to kill them. I just want them to stay out of my yard. Short of shooting them to kill them I want to scare them from coming into my yard.

4. Shotgun Shooter

Well shooting them with a 22 will only get you sued.

S.S.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If you want to scare them, rent a lion! A .22 shot shell will not frighten them, might just Pi$$ them off, along with their owner. Call Animal Control and lodge a complaint every time you spot them running loose. You will, of course, still have to deal with the owner.

6. Kain

Kain Member

Supposedly the shot shells work best out of revolvers and rifles a distant second. Won't really throw back the slide on a semi auto though. Also I read a lot of complaints that they're only good to about 15' but best under 10' The Quick-Shok is supposedly better at further range and considerably cheaper. Just not enough mass to do much at any real distance. But if you can get really close they supposedly make carnage of whatever flesh they hit with little to no property damage.

7. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

I'll take care of it

Nobody will figure out how. I was just asking if the CCI shotshells could be shot thru a rifle. I don't want to take a chance on messing up the rifling.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It will fowl the rifling, but that is why you clean your gun, right? I have fired shot shell through my .22 rifle but as Kain stated the effective range is within 5 - 10 feet.

9. Kain

Kain Member

Also, depending on where you live you may be within your rights to kill the dogs. As they are an "agressive" breed. If they're on your property and not on a leash, they're considered dangerous. Just tell the cops it was attacking you... You'll have angry neighbors but maybe next time they'll keep better track of their dogs.

In which case, do it humanely and use a hollow point for a clean kill, the shotshells would be a slow, nasty death, probably of infection.

10. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

Thanks for all the responces.

I will take care of my problem as humanely possible. Thanks guys.

11. Shotgun Shooter

I'd recommend talking to the dog owners before killing.

S.S.

12. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Only thing i use the shot shells for is finishing off game that was wounded but not killed I just get up close and shoot it point blank in the head.

13. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

My neighbors wife and kids moved out and the dogs are gone. I have a NAA derringer. I think that I will use my shotshells in it instead of my rifle. Thanks guys.

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The shot stays in the plastic cup until it exits the barrel, but those .22lr shotshells are virtually useless for anything but shooting a sparrow at 10', maybe a bit farther in a rifle. They are definately NOT appropriate or humane for small animals - they are primarily intended for snakes at very close range. As was mentioned earlier, try CCI Quik Shok ammo. It is segmented high velocity .22LR ammo that breaks into three pieces on contact. I dispatched a VERY large raccoon many years ago which was visiting my deck each night, with one shot from a revolver. It died within 30 seconds of being hit, and there were no exit holes.

15. divinginn

divinginn New Member

A squirtgun full of ammonia would probably work better,those 22 shot shells are pretty worthless for anything other than a rat at very close distances,I doubt they would hurt a snake past point blank range.

16. patriotjoe

patriotjoe New Member

I agree with divinginn . I went outside and shot a cardboard box and realized I would do more damage by throwing a rock.