Cci .22 lr shotshells

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BLUNTTrauma72, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BLUNTTrauma72

BLUNTTrauma72 New Member

Any one use these? I just picked up some and boy are they fun.i'm just wondering if theyr worth almost seven dollers for 20 rounds. Any input is geat

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

If you can find/order some, go with the Winchester or Federal
    crimped brass shotshells. I se them online for $10 or so for 50.

I've tried both types (starlings in the fruit trees) and the CCI's
    will just ruffle the feathers at the same range that the Winchesters
    produce a dead bird.

3. zimm

zimm New Member

I agree. The Winchesters and Federals have always killed pigeons and starlings better in my dad's hay barn than the blue tipped CCIs.

4. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

The CCIs jam allot in my brothers marlin model 60. They don't have enough velocity to cause the action to kick the round out.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I use them in a Colt revolver for snakes- the .22 Magnum shot loads work better (and my .38 shot handloads MUCH better). They have sharply limited range- most of the 22s are #12 shot (dern near lead dust) and rifling puts a spin on the shot that makes pattern open up. I keep it to about 5 yards.

6. somawas

somawas New Member

The will not cycle in a Ruger 10/22, and probably will have cycle issues in other auto loaders. Used them in a Taurus Tracker with a 6.5" barrel- not very effective beyond eight feet. Probably will get better range and effectiveness with a rifle.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I"ve always wanted to play with them but never spent the money. I love everything else CCI has to offer so maybe I should just give them a try.

8. natman

natman Member

They are fine for small birds and mice at very close range. They use #12 shot, which is called "dust shot" for a reason. When fired from a rifle, the rifling spins the shot which causes it to disperse rapidly. Effective range is roughly 10 feet. If you use a 22 smoothbore, range is somewhat greater.