CCI .22 Ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by aandabooks, Jan 12, 2011.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

At the Gander Mountain I was perusing .22 ammo and was looking for better stuff than the bulk stuff my son and I use for general plinking. They had multiple CCI variants but the one that caught my eye because of the price was the CCI Green Tag ammo at $16.99/100 rounds. What is this and is it worth it for serious target/comp shooting?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

What you want id CCI mini mag. I buy them all the time at the local Fred Myers store for 7.50 per 100. They are great rounds and I've had zero defects with them.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Got the Mini Mags and they are great. Also have sub-sonics, shorts, stingers and LR HPs in the ammo box. They are all reasonably priced. Just wondering what sets the CCI Green Tags up in that price range.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I thought all the green ment was that it was lead free.

5. CCI Green Tag

is CCI's target ammo. It is the only thing that will continually deliver accuracy and reliability in my S&W 41 pistol, shooting Bullseye. Yeah, I suppose Eley would do well, too, but the CCI is considerably better priced.

CCI 'standard velocity' is essentially the same as Green Tag, but the lot didn't quite meet the accuracy standard for Green Tag. I don't use much of the high, super or hyper velocity stuff these days. But I've had good luck with all the CCI rimfire ammo.

As a caveat, I don't use either .17, .20 or .22 Magnum ammo. But I presume it's good as well.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

"Match" ammo is made to a tighter standard, is intended to provide unusually uniform performance, with VERY little shot-to-shot variation. Some Match quality ammo would include Green Tag, Eley Tenex. Wolf Match 22, Federal Champion Target Gold, Fiocchi Match, Lapua Master, and Nobel R-50.

Yes, for serious target competition, when you are trying to get them all in one hole at 100 yds.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

C3, you can see the target at 100 yards?

The CCI Mini-Mag is the gold standard for breaking in new .22 semi-autos. I always keep at least 500 rounds on hand...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Mega

Mega New Member

I've used CCI Green Tag and it is very good, but my 10/22 Superstock seems to like CCI Blazer just as well.

CCI Blazer and Wolf Match Target appear identical.
    Put a few of each in your hand and I'm betting you cannot tell the difference.
    My Superstock 10/22 certainly cannot tell the difference. It shoots both equally well.

For semi-auto handguns like the Sig Mosquito, CCI Mini-Mags are the shiznit.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, fairly well ! :p

scan0005.jpg

5 rounds, .22 LR Nobel R-50, 100 yards, Mossberg 44US

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

mighty fine shotgun pattern ya got there :p

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I think the green tag is just manufactured with more care than the average ammo so you are less likley to have an issue during competitions,but honestly I think mini mags are just as good.All CCI ammo is good,look at the rim on them compared to Federal,Remington etc,the CCI's rims are thicker.I had a cheap defective .22 revolver that would strike really weak that misfired one out of every 3 rounds of Federal and Remington etc and I would have to re strike them before they would shoot,but the CCI's would only give me problems one out of 25 rounds.

12. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

My preferred day-to-day shooting round is CCI MiniMag 40 gr. solid. I have found it works equally well in my vintage (Win. 63 & 61), not-so-vintage (Win 47 & 290) as well as modern (Ruger MkII 22/45, Bearcat & Single Six; both Sig Mosquitos; multiple Rem 597s; Savage MkII; Henry lever). Of late, I've shot a lot of Aquila (Super Extra & Match Rifle) and Wolf (Target Match and Match Extra) with great results too. Last time at the range, a friend had me try out 5 rounds of Winchester Subsonic 40 gr. with truncated hollow point and they grouped great from benchrest. WallyWorld here keeps well stocked in CCI MiniMag at $6.99/100 so likely that'll continue as my "go to" round as availability of the others here is pretty hit-and-miss and is always higher priced than the CCI. Locally, I've never seen any Eley Rifle or Pistol Match on the shelves; guess I'll have to order some in to try 'em out; pricey little buggers, though.

13. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Agreed about the MiniMag, especially with my Sig Mosquito. It's what Sig recommends and all I've shot so far (300rnds of break-in).

14. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Personally only thing that I will shoot.

15. lancelot86

lancelot86 New Member

I store the CCI as a good hunting/SHTF round. For the range I shoot the big box of 550rds. Think it's remington.

16. flw

flw New Member

I'm new to rimfire and 22 cal. My only other rifle was my service Weapon.

Next wk I pickup a 22 semi-auto rifle and it is new so it needs to be broken in.
    I have box of 100 Winchester copper plated high velocity and two boxes of CCI (one mini mag 40 round nose and one mini mag 37 HP).

I heard that I should break it in with high velocity rounds till the mechanical parts have worn smooth and rough fitting parts.

My question is if the CCI stuff works very well once the rifle is less than clean, does CCI sell high velocity/plated ammo? I have not seen any at the two gun stores I've been to.

My other question is the bulk ammo stuff I've seen is all low end stuff, no matter what the name one the box. Is this not true for all bulk 22lr High Vel. ammo ? i.e. no one sells plated high velocity ammo in 250 or 500 round boxes

Thanks for the two q's.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  17. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont worry bout plated or not. the cci blazer is the same as the minimag in power levels. its just waaay less pricey. not all bulk is the same. just gotta try different brands to see what your new shooter likes.

i wouldnt worry about break in. just clean it swab out the bore lube up the internals and get after it :)

18. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Break-in may depend on the rifle you're getting, my 60 didn't need any sort of break-in. I bought it, mounted a scope and shot several thousand rounds of bulk Remington Golden Bullets through for a couple of years. It shoots the same as it did the day I bought it in 2006, some rifles need a break-in, but mine didn't.

CCI does make plated high velocity ammo, the Mini-Mag should be plated and is 1260 fps for the 36gr HP I have right here. Winchester 333 and 555 round boxes are copper plated, the Remington Golden Bullets 550 packs are brass plated (it's why they're called Golden), the Fiocchi I have here is copper plated, and all are High Velocity rounds. You shouldn't have a problem finding plated 22lr, but locally may be an issue if it's not popular in your area.

The are a lot of horror stories regarding the Golden Bullets, but I've gotten excellent service from it, however I clean my rifle every 500-600 rounds whether it needs it or not. The only trouble I've had with lead rounds were with Winchester Wildcats, I can't shoot more than 40-50 rounds before my barrel is fouled to the point I can't hit a 6" circle at 50 yards. The CCI Blazer doesn't have this problem for some reason and of course the plated rounds have never fouled my barrel.