CC weapon cleaning - don't put it off!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by eatmydust, Jan 10, 2014.

1. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I usually clean my CC guns every 3 - 4 weeks. I put it off over the holidays. I rotate 2 semi-autos and a revolver, depending on dress and weather, so there is usually not too much build up on any one gun.

Below is what I found in the firing pin area of my LC9 slide after field stripping it.

Just a reminder to stay on top of your cleaning and maintenance.

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

proper maintanance of anything you rely on to keep you safe should be done on a regular schedule of some sort. be it your guns or your car.

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I have two carry guns..and I shoot them everytime I target practice. I know a few people who never practice with their carry guns. They sit in a pocket every day and get full of lint and other pocket crap. I think if you target practice it's important if not MORE important to practice with your carry gun. That's the one where your accuracy means the most.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

What is that yellow stuff?

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Another good reason not to carry in a pocket.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nothing wrong with pocket carry if your gun can handle it and you clean it now and then.

I carry a lcp in my pocket 24/7 longest its gone without cleaning in my pockets was 60 days took it out at the range fired 100 rounds including the rounds being carried the whole time no issues altho the first shot was done in a cloud of lint...

Its a big reason I love my lcp. Its super reliable.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

It just another reason to shoot the sh!t out of it.

hmmmm might be time for me to clean mine again.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The firing pin/striker channel is the most neglected area of most pistols. As a part of our PM schedule, ALL carry guns must be stripped, cleaned and inspected by a certified armorer. As I was the only one certified on Smith pistols and revolvers and Sig Pistols, I kept busy. Officers would come for their annual in-service training, drop their gun off in the morning and I would have it ready to go before they left for the day. This on top of teaching classes was a chore, but one I loved. I usually ate lunch at my desk while cleaning guns. Usually 3-4 a day. There were others who were also certified on the Glocks so I deferred those to them.

Unbelievable the amount of gunk I would swab out of the FP channels. I liked to keep the Q-tips in a zip lock back for each owner to see so they understood the need for the preventative maintenance. Many would have it done 2-3 times a year once they saw the level of build up a year left.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I pocket carry. When I'm sitting on the toilet I break it down and blow all the crap out of it.

The gun I mean...

The one in my pocket, not in my pants....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The yellow stuff is just lint, under the light of an incandescent bulb.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I thoroughly strip and clean all of my firearms every time I shoot them, no matter how many rounds go through them. I want to know that they will always function well. I keep my handguns in zippered soft cases when they are not being used. I am careful about wiping off finger prints and other smears. In addition to maintaining them well for functionality I like them looking nice.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Update: Kimber 1911 shoots every shot even tho' dirty.
    I've ECD'd my Kimber 1911 for about 2 months without firing (I know, but it's been wet, and cold and I've been busy).

After reloading with a friend, we stepped out back for some pressure testing :)

That dirty, filthy, lint filled, grass packed thing fired, just like I expected it to.

Good news is that it blew some wood chips and alfalfa, clean out of it. Good to go for another couple of months.

13. mahall

mahall New Member

I wipe my carry guns down once a week, field strip and clean once a month! Just a habit I've gotten into! 2 reasons, one is to obviously keep them clean and oiled, but it's also important for me to make sure there is no abnormal wear or rust forming. Sort of like my vehicles, once a month, I lift the hood just to see if all is well. Knock on wood, vehicles and guns has served me well over the years with very little concerns.

Like guns, love people!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  14. KJG67

KJG67 Active Member

Took a three day defensive pistol class recently. Could not believe out of I think 12 or 13 people in the class, there were at least two that had never disassembled much less lubed their gun. And they expect them to work if the SHTF? I wonder if stores and gunsmiths started offering a maintenance plan when they do a sale or transfer, like car dealerships, if there would be a a market? There certainly would be a profit with the neglect just from that class extrapolated.

15. therukh

therukh New Member

Excessive Cleaning

I clean my guns once a year whether they need it or not. Glocks get the feed ramp wiped off every few months and about 3 drops of oil at the beginning of each shooting season. My cc's get lubed and the chamber wiped out when I start carrying them and then after I shoot them, which doesn't happen very often. They work - I'm happy.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Dryer sheets. Wipe down the gun. Clean, and wipe out the pocket with

the dryer sheet.

Cuts down on static cling.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I also rotate two carry guns, An LC9 that is just about 2 yrs. Old, and an older S&W 439 custom by ASP systems that I have had since 1980 that was a "First deployment" present from My Dad. I never carry in a pocket without a pocket holster. I sometimes use nylon or leather Knife pouches as single mag carriers if I'm not using a belt rig, even wearing a concealment vest or jacket. Until a few months ago I almost never carried in my house, but since we have had an attempted "Push in" style robbery here, plus a few other incidents in our development, I now Carry from the moment I wake until I get ready for bed. I'm waiting for a Charter Pitbull to come in, and that will be EDC#3. I also don't "Hide guns" around the house, but do have an Alternative second secure safe, and I am planning on a "Hide out" set up near my front door...

Edit:5/1: and I clean and relube every 14 Days no mater what, and after every Range session.

Edit: 5/18: in the Warmer months(Mid May-Mid October here) I clean a little more then usual. Currently since we are prepping for Rimfire Steel Shoots( the both of us) were working with the 22's more, so they get extra cleaned and lubed,..but we don't neglect our EDC's either. If you need to use a brush or other implement,. Tread carefully. I saw a friend damage the inside of his barrel like he was cleaning it with an engraver. Don't be cheap with cleaning patches....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: May 18, 2014