1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

So i was just wondering, and forgive me if i reopen a old thread, but for those who live in open carry states, do you open carry more then CC, if so, what is your reson's and point of view on the matter, i am considering OC as i live up here in WA and it is hard for me to CC with my glock in summer wear, its just in general a lot more easy in my point of view.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I open carry when hunting. For social purposes (ie- self defense) why would I forewarn a bad guy that I have a firearm? :confused:

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This topic can go South faster than a Glock vs 1911 thread. A lot of staunch 2A supporters see OC as a vehicle to "force" the public to accept armed citizens. I think some also "hope" for the confrontation with local LEOs to press the point. Neither of these motives do us any favors IMHO.

This being said, I live in an OC friendly area and I do choose that method occasionally - but not that often. I never forget that the vast majority of the population is afraid of guns and armed folks. Here in GA about 6% of the adult population has a license to carry so we are a distinct minority. It is really convenient though and I have quick to snap on paddle holsters for every gun I do carry. I normally take the time to dress around my gun as I believe CC is just the better way to stay prepared...

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Well i would hope you open carry when hunting, as that is what hunting revolves around..:D, i have noticed a general fear when it come's to most gun enthusiast of open carry, i mean hey lets fight for the right to own guns, but dont let no one know you own them and dont show them in public to no one and dont fight for your right to open carry, thats the general persona anyway, i feel that open carry has become a taboo if you will.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. Got really stange looks the last time I stopped in the 7-11 to get a Slurpee while wearing my sword.

:D

6. opaww

opaww New Member

I CC all the time except when I got my shirt off and need to take the garbage out then I just go out without a shirt and everyone can see I am carrying. This is a CC and OC state but people still run a risk of a run in with OC if they are anti-gun police around, and every state has some of them.

I also find that most people know I am carrying because the 1911 is just too big to effectively hide under my tee shirt but as long as they don't really see the gun in person they seem to be comfortable with it.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some places have "badges" that at first glance, look like LE, but are for CC (and state so on the badge). The trouble is "some" may mistake you for LE and want you to stop some dang car that is speeding through the neighborhood.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Back when I was living in AZ, the only time I open carried (other than wilderness) was when two punk kids were giving us all a hard time while moving their mother out of an apartment. You have never seen two "men" so absolutely abusive to their mother.

When one of them started threatening to lose his pit bull on us, I went to my truck and put my .40 on my hip then went back to work. It had the effect I desired and they shut up.

AZ is a very gun friendly state, and OC is common. Now Iowa is going CC & OC in January, but I'm hard pressed to come up with any situations were I would prefer OC over CC here.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Arkansas is CC only. If we could open carry I would only do so at certain events and promotions. I wouldn't go out open carrying on my own. I would rather carry concealed fro the element of surprise and so not to get anyone's panties in a bunch.

I would have no problem seeing others open carrying where legal though. :)

10. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Portland, Oregon as well as other cities here have ordinances against open carry without CC permit. Most of Oregon is OC without issue.

For me, I CC for the "being prepared". The truck gun always and my carry piece on me almost all the time. (CAN NOT at work - big no no) Too many issues with law enforcement and calls made on legal CC holders to make it worthwhile.

I am allowed to aggressively approach your car for money at every streetlight, we have a wider range of allowed recyclables, thriving double-decker bicycle community, and our tie-dyes are out of this world man! :D

Fair trade off in my eyes! lol!

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

right now wisconsin where i live is technically an open carry state. this however is only loosely based on the opinion of the state ttorney general. there are folks who excercise OC here but im not willing to test the less than stellar wisconsin courts who favour actual criminals over honest citizens. the liberal judges relish in putting hard working taxpayers in jail and turning murderers, rapists, and pedophiles loose.

12. superc

superc Member

I've lived in both worlds. Worked for a decade in a job where I was expected and required (was on 24 hour on call status) to be concealed carry 24/7. This got old real fast. A real pain when going to the beach or on hot summer days at a pool. When I retired I rejoiced at leaving the gun home. When concealed permits became easy in VA I debated getting one, but a careful read of the State's law shows there are downsides and loss of privileges that have no impact on unlicensed open carry people. In VA any uncovering of your pistol in the presence of others may be considered brandishing. You better be needing it if you are uncovering it. With open carry you don't have that problem. Likewise the concealed permits aren't valid in some places, but in some of those same places open carry is permissible. Hunting was a notorious example for quite some time. Likewise the permit only allows you to carry one gun. Open carry in VA doesn't stipulate a number. Why VA doesn't reword the concealed 'firearm permit' statute to a concealed 'weapon (of any kind and number) permit' eludes me. Open carry isn't unusual around here. I've met folks open carrying in Blockbusters, Books a Million, and at supermarkets.

13. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

Outside of town, not an issue, OC or not (depending on individual state's laws).

The majority of people living in metropolitan areas understand that, while legal in many states, open carry is very close to "tugging on Superman's cape" or "spitting into the wind". Why would anyone with more than half a brain go out to purposely antagonize others?

People that live in large metropolitan areas (well, at least many of them) have come to realize that "shall issue" avails them of a way to legally carry in a mode that DOES NOT make them stand out, that DOES NOT antagonize others, that DOES NOT provoke unnecessary attention of Law Enforcement. Any that have jobs in large corporations understand that unnecessary attention of Law Enforcement usually means "looking for a new job", so avoid it when ever possible.

For those that live in NON-shall-issue states, hang in there. We are making more progress every day. :D

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I live in Florida, which is a CC-only state...

However, I use a hipmount holster when bowhunting wild hog, to which I've been asked "Why I've got a pistol during Bowhunting season", but never "Why isn't it concealed".

The reason I give wildlife officers, is personal protection...because you might get a hog with a bowshot...but it still very well may turn on you before you can get up a tree. To which they've all agreed that it was a reasonable precaution.

And they ignore the hip-holster...which technically should not be used in this state. Go figure.

15. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

I'm guessing that since you were participating in a legal activity (bow hunting wild hog) in an appropriate area (out side of town) and had a reasonable reply to his question (The reason I give wildlife officers, is personal protection...because you might get a hog with a bow shot...but it still very well may turn on you before you can get up a tree. ) he decided to be a "nice guy" and not hassle you. :D

Amazing how being calm and polite with various forms of LEO produces nice results. ;) :D

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Then generally speaking, CC is the way to go...

17. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Big Shrek do you think these wildlife officals would be so understanding during "Gun" season?

I have begun to hunt in FLA and want the piece of mind a pistol (when carried in conjunction with a slow/ ammo limited bolt action rifle) would provide.

18. Katsai

Katsai New Member

Here in OK they recently passed a measure to allow CC holders to also carry openly, but the governor vetoed it and they didn't have enough votes to override, so for now it's kind of moot for me. As far as LE goes, they're pretty tolerant in the OKC area, even to the point of understanding what they call "incidental exposure". With the wind in this state, occasionally your jacket or shirt tail is going to flip up, which might give someone a glimpse of your gun. As long as you're not deliberately exposing it, they ask to see your ID and permit, and then leave you alone. Really the only time I'd even think about carrying openly, though is if I were getting gas at night and didn't want to bother with putting on a jacket to cover the pistol. Since it's pay at the pump, it would be nice to just step out, fill up and get back in. As a general rule though, I would prefer no one know that I'm carrying unless an unavoidable situation occurs where I end up having to draw. So even if we end up getting open carry in the future, I doubt I'd do it often, if at all.

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I would imagine so, as hunting with a Pistol is quite legal in Florida during gun season. No rimfire for deer allowed.
    No non-expanding ammo (Military Ball ammo) either.
    However, as mentioned above...being NICE helps. And making contact with some of your local wildlife guys FIRST before hitting the field also helps. I've got long years of good relationships with some of the folks working in the three-county area.

Heck, I've previously asked many local officers where the coyotes were in the area that needed taking out...they're MORE than happy to send folks after varmints that are causing problems...because they are overworked as heck.

Nowadays I keep tabs with the local nuisance animal removal guy, as he's completely overwhelmed, and he's more than happy to let me know where the hogs/coyote/other nuisance critters are causing problems...because he's found out that when I remove problem critters, I do it safely & humanely...not to mention Free ;) and I also get written permission from the Landowner FIRST ;)
    http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/HuntingPermissioncard.pdf

Florida Spanish Boar (hogs) are considered Farm Animals if on Private Land. So technically, you are just culling a herd, and may do so with written permission of the LANDOWNER (no renters).
    Now the most important thing in culling on someone else's land is to NEVER shoot towards their House/barns/work-play areas...so GPS positioning is KEY.

Second, be proficient with a Bow, because some folks just don't want guns on their land (Yeah, I know, even liberals farm) or have had previous bad experiences with Idiot "Professional" hog/varmint removal people who've shot a gun the wrong dang way and put a hole in their house/barn/tractor/whatever.

Third, let the farmer know which areas you will be working in, it's even nicer if you give him a walkie-talkie to contact you with if need be...because sometimes they'll be on the tractor and spot the invading critters, and can let you know. Critters will often ignore a tractor moving around...and it makes enough noise to cover your excess noises of approach sometimes ;)

There's more, but that should getcha started ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  20. vezpa

vezpa New Member

To prevent an attack from happening in the first place. :confused:

The idea of people being scarred of guns on regular law abiding citizens never went well with me. The only thing I'm scarred of is the gangbanger hiding one in his coat pocket or the lawmakers here in Illinois denying us our rights. I'd take my chances with the gangbanger. :)

Thank god I live 6 blocks from Indiana where I do most of my shopping and run errands.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010