CC Semi Auto

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by clr8ter, Mar 10, 2012.

which should I choose?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2012.
  1. Walther PPK/S

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Beretta 85 BB Nickel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ruger LCP

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. MR Baby Eagle compact poly frame 9mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of the above, I'll make another suggestion.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, I got my CCL last year. I have not felt a NEED to CC, but I want the option if needed, or if things change. Part of the problem is that I have 3 handguns; Hi-Point 380, Ruger Single Six, and a Beretta 96. I weigh 140, @ 5'9". Neither is going to work. So, any suggestions for a Semi Auto DA/SA, or SAO CC pistol? Sticking to 380 or 9mm?

Keep in mind I don't mind paying ($600 or so) for quality, preference to SS guns.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Deep concealment...LCP...:cool:

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What is considered deep concealment, Vincent? I was thinking an IWB holster. Unfortunately, in the summer I wear loose fitting stretch waistband shorts and a T-shirt. Not sure how to solve that one without a wardrobe change.....and NO fanny pack.

5. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Kahr in a nice 9mm.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you're serious about needing to carry a pistol for protection, you may have to change your dress habits a little. An elastic band & no belt will not hold much, not even the ones you list in your poll. Maybe a knife with a clip. "CCL" indicates that it must be concealed? I suppose a shoulder rig may work under a T-shirt, but it'll be fun getting to it & will be a lot less comfortable than pants with a belt.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sig 238 and a DeSantis super fly pocket holster. It wieghs 16oz loaded with 6+1 of 380. Or hold out for the Sig 938 which should start becoming available soon. Same height but 1/2" longer and 16 oz empty. Carries 6+1 of 9mm. It should but I dont know for sure if it will pocket carry as well so you may have to look at some other holster options. I have pocket carried small 9's before with no problems. I wear cargo shorts in summer and on days like today (75). These are mini 1911 pistols that you carry cocked and locked. Short trigger pull. These are not cheap but you should be able to find one new for $600 otd. Spare mags are $27. I have not seen pricing on the 938 yet but it should not be a lot more. The 238 is the best of the smaller 380 pistols. I have tried the LCP and P3AT and they are not fun to shoot. I would be comfortable shooting a couple hundred rounds through the 238 on a range session and they are accurate.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I know gollygee, those shorts have a hard time holding up my wallet & phone. And yes, i'm talking concealed here.

Johnjak, I was also thinking about Kahr, care to expound on your suggestion?

JTJ, as much as I don't know anything about and am not interested in Sig, I might have to look into them. I hear that if nothing else they make quality stuff.....

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Quote: "I know gollygee, those shorts have a hard time holding up my wallet & phone. And yes, i'm talking concealed here."

Well, I refuse to wear shorts, despite the heat, even at home.:eek: But if that was a viable mode of dress for me, I'd go with cut-off khakis, or similar shorts with loops for a belt. With a proper belt, it doesn't have to be overly tight.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

XD9sc. 3.1 inch barrel. Plenty of rounds. Or, if you have a grip that can crush walnuts to dust, try some of the pocket pistols. Whatever you do, try it before you commit. The smaller the gun is, the harder the felt recoil is.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am currently pondering the same thing. I am torn between the LCP, the LCR and the Sig P238. I am leaning towards the Sig right now. With the LCP as a very close second.

12. sdcromer

sdcromer New Member

Sig Sauer P238 carried in Condition 1

LCP when nothing else will fit (I love my Elsie Pea as much as my P238)

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've carried the PPK/s and found it to be heavy for some forms of dress.
    I've looked at the Ruger LCPs, but bought a Kel-Tec P-3AT. In the store, the Kel-Tec felt smoother to work the slide and trigger.

Though the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT are small handguns, practice is highly recommended with both.
    Shot placement is paramount with a small caliber.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Actually, the Sig P238 doesn't look bad.....I like the fact that it's SAO, and it's not compliant in either Ma or Ca. Maybe I'll have to see if there is a version of it in 9mm, and how much bigger & heavier it is.

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

If you can find such, I'd suggest a CZ 2075 RAMI in either 9mm or .40 S&W caliber. 6.5" long, 4.75" high, 7+1 capacity for the .40, 9+1 for the 9mm. Top quality, about $575, easy to carry. DA/SA action.
    CZ* Ceskoslovenska-Zbrojovka (in Brno, Czechoslovakia)
    CZ in Europe is like S&W or Colt in the U.S. Most police and many military units in Europe carry CZ weapons.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  16. sdcromer

sdcromer New Member

The Sig Sauer P938 in 9mm was introduced at the SHOT show and has not made to store shelves in my area. There is information on the Sig website though.