CC in a satchel bag

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by arober1990, Jan 10, 2013.

1. arober1990

arober1990 New Member

I am a graduate student working at a university. I have a CC permit and am in the process of purchasing a carry weapon. Despite a large frame my XD 9mm wont conceal well. Looking at a Ruger LCP or guns of the same frame. Given my current situation, meeting with students throughout the day, I am unable to wear the weapon on body. I have contemplated a pocket holster, but my khakis are a bit tight and it will print for sure. Maybe a back pocket holster, but I might still be nervous sitting on it all day in my office. I absolutely CANNOT print. I want to try a dedicated holster inside the flap of my bag. Not the big one on front that would be awkward as hell getting to in a time of need, but the one that rests against my left side, so I can slip my right hand in perfectly grabbing the gun. It would be very similar to a shoulder holster, only maybe six inches lower. The gun would be situated like cross-drawing from the hip like cops in the old days before they carried on their strong side. Is this setup a major issue? I am not concerned with speed as I feel confident after practicing with my XD (just too large).

2. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I see nothing wrong with it under a few conditions,
    1. You can access your weapon in a hurry if needed.
    2. You maintain control over your murse at all times,,, uh,, I mean satchel,, satchel.( hell Indiana Jones carried one right?)
    Last thing you want is someone stumbling upon your weapon. Securing it safely when not carrying it.
    Others here may come up with some more but those two should be at the top of the list.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As long as its concealed on your person I can see no issue-

4. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

During warmer weather I carry an LCP in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in the front jeans/shorts pocket with no printing whatsoever.

I'm also an XD man - full size XD-40 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe when I transition back to cool-weather clothing. It doesn't print, either.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

This printing thing really needs to be put to rest. Nobody but you knows what it is, it's concealed. As far as anyone knows it's your car keys and wallet, or a good luck charm you carry around. Or a flip phone. You can't see a trigger, or a magazine, or a barrel, it's an outline of a bulge that's triangular.

Slap it in a Remora holster and is even less a visible shape or form.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry my kel tec P11 in a uncle mikes pocket holster. I carry it in my front pocket. You can see there is something in my pocket but a bandanna makes the same bulge in my front pocket. If I wear anything but jeans you can't tell I have anything in my pocket. Try some pleated slacks. They have a lot more room in the pocket area.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

I always advise against off body carry, even for women. It's too easy to be separated from your sidearm. It's a lot harder to have your gun grabbed if it's concealed on your body. I frequently carry an LCP wearing dress slacks/dress shirt and never have any revealment issues.

8. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

I would look at the various Maxpedition shoulder bags. I have the Fatboy Versipack. It holds all my gear and has an easy access pouch for a firearm. It should fit most guns up to about a 4" barrel. They also make larger and smaller bags and packs.

9. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I really like the Maxpedition® line of gear!

10. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

As a college student i can see the advantages of either i must admit the idea of someone snatching my bookbag with my gun inside freaks me out i don't like taking those kinds of chances

11. bowfreak79

bowfreak79 New Member

Check out 5.11 tactical. They're designed for concealed carry. I have a few of their products and they're legit.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The printing thing is alive and well in states that haven't enacted legislation allowing it. Does it scare the carp out of the everyday citizen? I doubt it. Most people are too self-centered to be concerned with how other people look.

The problem is with the overzealous LEO. For quite a few years around here it was yet another charge to bring against people. They worked on the assumption that concealed meant really really concealed. It was so bad that the legislature actually made it semi-legal. Inadvertent display and printing are considered the same thing now, just as they were in the past.

Old Law

Mitigating Law

Keep in mind that the old law is still in force, but the new law grants some leeway and an arguable defense in minor incidents. In the old law the word "careless" was what got many arrested. If you weren't "careful" enough to completely conceal the weapon, you were guilty of "careless" display of the weapon in the eyes of many LEOs.

Yes, I do think it was BS, but that was the reality.

13. bowfreak79

bowfreak79 New Member

Definitely a fact. LEOs sometimes do the Barney Fife thing with printing. That's why you got to know the law and obey it.

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

The law in many places specifically declares schools (even universities) to be gun-free zones. Effective concealment can minimize (but not eliminate) the risk of discovery. Discovery by an antagonist (overzealous LEO, gun control activist, etc.) can lead to fines, arrest, expulsion from school, loss of permit or loss of firearm. Make sure you understand the law as it applies where you are. Make sure you understand the risk you are taking.

My personal opinion is that the 2nd and 14th amendments should be sufficient to invalidate all federal, state and local gun control laws. But "should be" isn't how things are today. Changing that will take extensive legal battles that cost a lot of money. I don't have that kind of money, so I choose to respect the explicitly declared gun free zones (like schools, courthouses, etc.) I frequently ignore the little no-gun signs on ordinary businesses since the only consequence to discovery there is being asked to leave.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I guess I don't know what printing is then because as I said, what I consider printing is still concealed, fully covered in cloth. These laws speak of OPENLY displaying a firearm. In a pocket IS NOT OPEN unless there's a hole in it, in which case stop being cheap and go buy a new pair! Lol

Now if printing means the gun is somehow unsheathed and or brandished, well that just makes little sense and they should come up with a new term for it, like brandishing!

Even using the term is idiotic!

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't believe that you can carry a firearm in a tote of any kind and keep control and instant access to your weapon. You say your pants are tight? BUY BIGGER PANTS. Damn it man, dress to carry.

17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

In Oklahoma (prior to passing open carry) they defined concealed as "hidden from detection or view". So, printing (outline of gun visible through clothes) allows an observer to "detect" the gun, thus failing to remain "concealed". Printing would allow a zealous LEO to stop you, check your permit, perhaps give you a citation for failure to conceal, etc.

Different states have different wordings. You need to check the actual wording in your state. If a state says concealed means "not openly displayed" then your comment is valid for that state. It would not be valid in a state like Oklahoma (before November 2012, when open carry became legal).

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The simple explanation of printing is allowing people to see that you are carrying a gun even though the gun is completely covered with clothing. An example would be the guy that carries a large revolver or pistol. When he is standing the gun would be completely concealed, but in many cases the outline of the gun would become visible through clothing when he is sitting. Another example would be someone carrying even a snubby with a tight tee shirt over it. Is the gun visible? No, but the outline of the gun leaves no room for doubt that it is a gun.

Printing around here was usually a tack on charge. It was a lot like when you mouth off to a traffic cop and he starts writing additional tickets for equipment violations.

Not a printing story, but an example of a tack on charge. This loser was riding down the interstate near here attempting to pull people over with a K-Mart blue light. When they caught up to him they nailed him for impersonating a police officer, attempted kidnapping, and a few other felony charges directly related to his actions. They also added the misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed weapon. He had a handgun in the center console of his car... something that is totally legal in Florida. The fact that it was during the commission of a felony made it a good charge, but with all the other charges it was never going to amount to anything.

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've yet to see any gun "print" to the point that anyone could determine what it is.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've seen more than a few lately -