CC concerns

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Sonic82, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I had a discussion yesterday at my local gun store with the guy behind the counter when I bought my new SIG. They have been selling handguns galore as of late, especially sub-compacts. He said everybody wants to CC, he mentioned people that have no background with guns and know nothing about them are buying them. I am very much for the practice of Concealed Carry, but I fear there will be a backlash eventually. I’m not entirely sure these people are sincere and fully understand the responsibility of CC. Like everything in the U.S….it’s the new ‘trend’. I will rejoice the day when some freak stands up in a movie theatre with his black garb and gun intent on mowing the movies patrons down when he himself gets riddled with holes from little .380’s coming from every direction. However, there are going to be incidents of these new gun owners miss judging situations, accidental discharges and pure negligence. Concealed Carry has been adopted by many states now and that’s a wonderful thing. However, I think the pendulum will swing the other way after a few tragic accidents and those of us that have many years of experience with the handling of guns will lose our rights to carry. Just like everything, a few people will ruin it for the rest of us.

Here’s an article of some lib already pissed off at CC.:mad: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sunday/the-scourge-of-concealed-weapons.html?_r=0

2. eltoro

eltoro New Member

You forgot if the new cc holder has no clue how to use the tool and ends up getting hurt or killed with their own tool :rolleyes: It's like ar's and so forth many folks have paid premium for the rifles and have no clue hot to even take the rifle down :eek:

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I try to stress training. In my state, there is a requirement to have some proof of firearms training (even the DD FM 214 will suffice).

I have met people in my 20 years of active duty who did not have any firearms training, but still got their DD FM 214s.

I hope we do not have a backlash, and that all who decide to carry do so in a safe and prudent manner.

I hope that people understand that carrying a firearm does not make one a "Navy Seal" without enduring the Navy Seal training.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I was once one of these people, everyone starts somewhere. I'm not worried about anything. I think concealed carry and handgun purchases in general should be based on credit class. I believe credit class says a lot about a persons level of overall responsibility.

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Sure...my state does too. But we also have some where you pay your $100 and it's givin to you.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You should be more worried about the idiots they give drivers licenses to. What did you know when you bought your first gun? Not everybody is an idiot and they can learn just like you did. Life is dangerous you can't protect everybody all the time. Posts like this smacks of the same liberalism we are trying to get rid of. I'm sure you don't mean it to sound that way but it does. Are you saying that only the smart people get to defend themselves? Are you saying you want people to pay for training? In which case only the people with enough money can defend themselves. This all sounds like elitism and infringement when you think about it. Accidental firearm deaths for 2011 was 851 compared to over 40,000 on the highway. Don't forget, driving isn't even a right.

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

An emphatic Amen!

8. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yup...and that's all good.But there's always that certain percentage.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

This has been the fear of the anti-gunners ever since cc started. They said the streets would be filled with blood. It would be like the ok corral. Not so. There are a crap load of people that cc now. If they were shooting people accidentally it would be all over the news already. There have been a few incidents. But if it were like that they woulkd have exploited it!

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

The streets are running in blood since CC permits were opened in MI. Oh wait, nothing happened!

Take some newbies to the range and encourage additional practice and talk about further training.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, and that goes both ways in any debate. I think credit class should be the determining factor for many things. Jobs, driving licenses, etc. But I'm a major classist and culturist.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

In my OP I said something that was very telling....and it just occured to me. 'People buying guns that know nothing about them' is what the salesman told me. I don't get into any new interest without thouroghly researching it, especially these days with the internet. If I just 'took up' an interest in firearms, I wouldn't rely on a gun store salesman as my only resource and then make a $300 to $800 investment. I think that alone says that there are some out there not taking the whole matter very seriously.

13. mwardo23

mwardo23 New Member

I took my CCP class about a month and a half ago. Out of about 20 people in the class, myself and two others were the only ones who went shooting regularly...at least once a month. To me that's kinda scary.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The thought that a gun alone will save you is insane.

Training, practice, and dedication can help, but some are too lazy to apply themselves.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Multiply that by thousands ---every week ---

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I think there are cops like that too, at least there used to be.....that may have changed these days, I think most departments require shooting practice.

17. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

My home state is Wisconsin. This great state doesn't think it's necessary that anyone with a ccp needs to know how to shoot their gun, much less hit what they are aiming at. I don't understand this logic. I believe everyone who can legally carry should be allowed to do so, but only after indepth classroom and range instruction.

18. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Absolutely. That's how I ended up here. Did some research on my own and wanted confirmation of my opinions by people that have the experience. And it's nice to see new people coming here asking similar questions first - at least making the effort to learn - with a little guidance and direction from this group.

Just under the cheese line here, I was pleasantly surprised in the proposed Illinois CCW law being introduced. I'm glad they have some accountability in there to have basic pistol training and live fire proficiency.

25 Section 85. Applicant training.

1 (a) Applicants shall provide proof of completion of at
    2 least one of the following courses:

3 (1) NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course.
    4 (2) NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home
    5 Course.
    6 (3) NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course.
    7 (4) Any other firearms training course of at least 4
    8 hours that covers the following:
    9 (A) handgun safety in the classroom, at home, on
    10 the firing range, and while carrying the firearm;
    11 (B) the basic principles of marksmanship;
    12 (C) care and cleaning of handguns;
    13 (D) laws relating to the justifiable use of force.
    14 (b) Applicants shall provide proof of certification by a
    15 certified instructor that the applicant passed a live fire
    16 exercise with a handgun consisting of:
    17 (1) a minimum of 30 rounds; and
    18 (2) 20 rounds from a distance of 7 yards and 10 rounds
    19 from a distance of 15 yards at a B-21 silhouette or
    20 equivalent target as approved by the Department.
    21 (b-5) Students shall provide their own safe, functional
    22 handgun and factory-loaded ammunition.

23 (b-6) Grades of "passing" shall not be given on range work
    24 to an applicant who:
    25 (A) does not follow the orders of the certified
    26 firearms instructor;

1 (B) in the judgment of the certified firearms
    2 instructor, handles a firearm in a manner that poses a
    3 danger to the applicant or to others; or
    4 (C) during the testing portion of the range work fails
    5 to hit the silhouette portion of the target with 70% of the
    6 30 rounds fired.

7 (c) The classroom portion of the course may, at the
    8 qualified firearms instructor's discretion, be divided into
    9 segments of not less than 2 hours each.
    10 (d) Applicant training courses shall not be open to anyone
    11 under the age of 16 and no certificate of completion shall be
    12 issued to persons less than 20 years of age.

19. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I think I want Illinois to get concealed carry more than the residents. Of course, I want reciprocity between Ill and Wis. That way on my long drive home to Memphis, I don't have to put my carry gun, unloaded and locked in the trunk. Also, I only live about a mile from the border I've found myself in Illinois before I knew it. So good luck and I really, really, hope the cc passes in Illinois.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this issue can be a double edged sword in some ways. personally i think anyone who is going to get a CC permit should be encouraged to get proper training. as a requirement, that to me is a little touchy.

now i practice at least once a month with various firearms, just to stay profficient in their use and features. plus i do enjoy shooting! but i also have and still do recommend that people practice on a regular basis, so at least once a month or more.