Cc .40?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 99zulu, Dec 8, 2012.

1. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I am currently looking into getting a CCW. Possibly even today. I own a ruger Sr40, so would prefer a .40 caliber. The only two that I have seriously looked into so far are the Sr40f, and the g27. Would appreciate ant intel on other good compact .40s. The upper end of my price range is around $700

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Whats wrong with just carring your SR40?
    Just want a smaller frame?

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a XD40SC. Great gun. Accurate & reliable, certainly worth a look in the class of gun your shopping for. But it gets tiresome to shoot very much with full strength ammo, much like other competing guns. This is a bummer, for me at least, since little bitty .40s kind of demand that you practice with them on a regular basis if you really want to be proficient with them.

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

M&p 40c or shield are both very popular and well within your budget

5. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Yeah. I'm a pretty small guy, and its difficult for me to comfortably conceal my Sr40. I like the Sr40c, and will most likely get one later today. Just wanted to know peoples opinions in other .40 cals

6. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Overkill, my friend has an xd40 that he swears by. I don't think I've ever even held one though. Maybe ill look into that more before buying

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud choice IMO-
    Had a SR9C for a few yrs & love it :cool:

8. TX45

TX45 New Member

I also love my stainless SR9c. It's my CCW besides the PT145.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Both very nice guns!

10. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete New Member

You should definitely. I love my xd 40. I feel like my hands are too big for the sc. Even with the extensions

11. TX45

TX45 New Member

Thanks! I love them both because they work flawlessly and are easy to conceal.

12. biggs9599

biggs9599 New Member

I vote g27. It's extremely accurate for its size and u get the glock reliability. My wife carries one daily and u can't even tell its on her.

13. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Thanks for all the input. Didn't end up getting one today due to various financial reasons that came up. I will post pics when I do.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There are a lot of choices, take your time. Enjoy the hunt.

This one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pearce-Springfield-Armory-XD-Extension/dp/B000J4JI14

Made a huge difference for me.

I would also suggest that you consider 9 mm version of your options as well. As far a social interactions, (with proper ammo choices) 9 mm & .40 S&W are pretty much a wash where performance is concerned. If I were to go back, I'd very likely buy the XD9SC instead. Since .40 has little performance advantage, it's disadvantages need to be considered. Capacity being one. The other major one is recoil and general unpleasantness. There is simply no way to ignore it, little .40s suck to shoot with full strength ammo. Can one learn to deal with that? Sure. But I found it tedious after a while. You should do what you think best, just give it some thought.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am partial to the Glock Model 27 40 Cal. I have carried mine for several years. It is very accurate even at 25+ yards. Will put all the rounds in the center square of a TQ-15 Target with no problem. Since I can not stand my pinkie finger hanging over the end of any pistol grip. I added the extension which also adds an additional round.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite .40 is the small SIG P239.:):)

17. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Consider the Kahr CW40. I have a PM40 for CC. Very small and easy to conceal, but a bit of a bear to shoot often. Very reliable with all ammo types I've fed it. I've had it for about a year with about 300 Ross through it. I'm a large person tho' and recoil doesn't bother me.

18. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Edit - 300 rds

19. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

G-23 and G-27 with no issues.

20. wildgeese

wildgeese New Member

not fired the ruger so i can not say.ruger makes great guns as i own a few..

.but imho the one and only thing that counts is will it feed and cycle any type of ammo each and every time.???

as a former gun shop owner and gun exspert in the calif court system i chose a glock....i use a glock 23 in 40 cal..i can take 14 different types of bullets/ heads and shake them in hand then load it in mag and fire each and every time...something few handguns can do.....hand guns where designed to take round nose bullets NOT wide mouth hollow points....a glock is in the same price range fyi...

having a gun jam up cyling or falurure to feed in life or death situation is wrong..i only have one life.

i know we was talking 40 cal..but background info..years ago i showed the 45 master dan dyer that my 45 combat govt could feed empty cases like his did..he was shocked lol...but to me a 45 cal spends to much time with mussel in the air vs on target..i went 40 cal with almost same end results