CBs

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by idareya, Sep 19, 2013.

1. idareya

idareya New Member

Any body got the little black cobra 19 CB? If so is it a good one? Another thing....how do you run power to your CB when installed to vehicle?

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I had one at one time. It worked fine for me I guess. As far as power goes, I just tapped into the cigarette lighter wire and used that.

3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I've always thought about adding one to my truck, but never had a serious reason to. Can you give me a good reason I can use to convince my better half?

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well when I did it I was back in high school and my truck was a POS. I kept in contact with my a few of my friends but being in a heavily wooded area it didn't work so well.

I have considered putting in a new one in both mine and my wives car for SHTF type situations.

Lately I have been thinking of getting into amateur (ham) radio so I can talk to my family half way around the country.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Just use a plug in the lighter or power outlet. The CB radio is seldom used these days. The cell phone is the current communication toy.:)

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I threw a $34 Cobra 19 from WalMart into the Jeep YJ.. .. Powered on dedicated cable to battery,
    Works fine for jeep trips. Wouldn't want to use one in the city.

Ham Radio works much better for me, but many others aren't licensed. . . CB it is.

7. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I had a car audio shop install a CB for me in my jeep. I bought it in order to fulfill a local jeep club's requirements. They want to be able to communicate in remote areas when they're on club rides. I turn it on every once in a while but there just isn't anyone on to talk to most days. Like fa35jsf, I too am interested in ham radio. I have several e-books that I'm studying, wanting to get my technician's license, which is the entry level ham license. I'm learning more and more that the 2m ham sets are popular with a lot of 4 wheelin' folk with much greater range than your typical CB but, they require a license. If I ever do get my ham license I'll be intolerable.

8. idareya

idareya New Member

If there are truckers or just average Joe's on the interstate that have them. They can give you cop checks. If your going north bound. Say..south bounders, anything behind you? Another reason is that if you find someone to talk to its kind of fun. Remember everyone has a southern acsent when on the CB. Can't control it.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a look at the single side band type.

Back in the day, that was the only way to go.
    (and only the interesting people were on the lower side of 8)

10. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I have mine wired to a accessory power source so it can only turn on when the key is on the accessory position.I have one because not everywhere I travel has cell phone signal.Plus,truckers relay road conditions and such.Very good to have if SHTF.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In 1999, installed one in my lady's car and my truck. Lighter plug works, or the lead for accessories. We were moving from CO to VA, and driving both vehicles. Used the CBs so we could talk directly (In about a mile we are going to take exit 153, so start moving over to the right. I wanna go potty- can we stop at the next exit?)
    Worked out well- we just found a quiet channel and stayed to ourselves.

12. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I got an old one for free and figured why not.
    I got an antenna from radio shack, and spent a day installing it.
    I have a Ford Escape, so it's weird, but I can find my car better (tall CB antenna). :D

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Both of our trucks have a $34 Cobra 19 ultra III in them, and are running Firestick antennas. Clamp mount on the hood edge on the F-150, and roof mounted magnetic unit on the Dakota. Power wise, the F-150's unit is wired into the battery power (constant 12 v) for the Sony CD player in the dash, and the radio's ground wire. In the Dakota, I wired the hot to a 12 v constant circuit that is not used in the fuse block, and the ground is run to one of the fuse block ground screws.

Since I have access to an SWR meter, I took the time to tune and match the units to their antennas. Anything under 75 feet in distance is too strong to pick up clearly, but we both have about a 6 mile range with the squelch set at about the halfway point. On flatter areas, we get more range, hilly, we get less. Cities, we don't even bother doing anything more than monitoring most of the time, and that is only on the major highways. We love them on long trips, such as cross state moves where both trucks and the trailer are needed.

If you are just getting into the CB thing, the little Cobra unit is good, if you are heavy into it, and have deep pockets, they are adequate. There are bigger and better units out there, but they run anywhere from $100 to $300+. If you are looking for bigger and better go to your nearest Pilot, T\A, or other truck stop\travel center. There are some pretty cool options in the trucker store, and most of the truckers out there will gladly help with your questions if asked.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And here's how you can spot an OLD CB radio user-

KADW 4901

Those were my CALL LETTERS from my LICENSE for my CB.

Yep- at one time, you were supposed to have a license, issued by the FCC, to operate a transmitter.

15. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I used to run a CB back in the halcyon days of yore but I haven't used one in years (probably should get one).

Not to derail but does anyone run FRS or FRS/GMRS transceivers? I own 2 Motorola Walkabout 250's with the optional headsets (had 3 but I gave one to my ex BIL), used them for 4 wheeling when we were within a mile or so of each other also used them at work at the newspaper I was a manager at, so I could talk to my loading dock people if I was up front or they were out on the lot.

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Yes I have on there good but. They are not the top of their line .
    If you hard wire it in take it to the fuse box . That's what I did .
    Second make sure you also have a good ground when you mount your antenna.

17. kfox75

Got a set of 4 mid-level cobra units. We use them for hunting, off-roading, and for convoys on long trips where one or more vehicles in the group do not run CBs. The downside, one of the CB users has to play messenger to the other mosyt of the time, but this only happens when we have 5 or more in the group.

18. kfox75

My uncle still has his old CB licence kicking around in his wallet too. Saw it while he was showing ID to pick up some pistol rounds.

19. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Got a portable, hand held. Magnetic antenna for the roof. Goes on and off vehicle with ease. I get all the smokey info when I travel.

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

kmy-6627 was mine if I remember right.;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013