Cav-15 ar15 lowers

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by beastmode986, Apr 22, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I have been looking at and comparing the new frontier armory lowers and the cav 15 ar lowers and was wondering what you guys thought about the cav 15 mk2 polymer lowers. Are they worth 150-180$? Should I get a nfa lower instead? Are they durable? Thanks!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would not pay more than $40 for any poly lower. My LGS has Delton aluminum lowers for $120 right now. You could find an AL lower for $150 - $ 160.

3. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Im going to bring this thread back, Would it be better to buy an aluminum lower for 100-130 or this lower for 195(The cav 15)

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The CavArms lowers were around in the ban years and had a good reputation for durability. Your disadvantage is that you can't swap stocks or grips. The receivers are kind of oversized too.

On the other hand you don't have to spend extra on a butt stock or buffer tube.

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

That doesn't bother me but will it be as durable as a aluminum lower? near as durable?

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I still prefer aluminum receivers. But I haven't seen a broken CavArms receiver.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Same here, the Cav Arms lowers seem to be strong. But I'd much rather have a 7075 alloy lower. You know it's strong plus it's much more adaptable (stocks, receiver extensions, buffers, etc.)

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Built a pencil barrel truck gun on a Cav Arms lower I got off of a prize table several years ago. It's been a good solid
    little gun, no problems. It requires longer trigger/hammer pins, and the safety plunger/spring is a bit of a pain
    to assemble. Would I go out and buy a CavArms lower and do it again? Probably not--it's not as versatile as
    a regular aluminum one, and really not all that much lighter.

9. 762

762 Member

right now, i can find metal lowers for $90-$100 at gun shows. $120 at stores, there's no way i'd pay more for a poly.