Caution When Choosing Carry Method

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Dakota1, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The old standard rule about "Keep out of the reach of children" would apply here, regardless of type of type. Especially if you gun is just bouncing around at the bottom of your purse.

On a side note:
    Interesting how you seldom see this sort of description of some small town in say Massachusetts or New Jersey. I wonder why they would find it necessary?

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Perhaps there are times when a safety isn't such a bad idea? Certainly a strong argument against placing the safety on the trigger!

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I just saw this on the news.

Plenty of fingers to point but none worth it. Just sad.

Can you imagine growing up and learning one day that you killed your mother when you where two? Jesus... that would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

I carry IWB...my daughter has an affinity for walking and leaning on that side, she is fine with trigger protected in holster but nevertheless, it's a no no. Same daughter is 4, put my gun on to walk to check mail, she wants to talk about guns, it's a challenge, to teach her we don't talk about guns outside of the house. Guns are for good guys to protect us from bad guys. She's getting better with the topic. If I carried it in my purse, I don't think I would keep one in the pipe though.

6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The gun had to be in battery with the safety off. How could a 2 year old pull a trigger with such a small hand? It may have been a cocked revolver. People without training in handgun use do some foolish things.

7. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

I like Glocks & have six of them & I like that they have no manual safety. BUT (for me), they are house guns; not concealed-carry guns. They are ready to go but are in quick-access lock boxes. For carry, I prefer a traditional double-action auto or a revolver. I feel safer with a 10-12-lb. trigger on the first shot.

8. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Anything's possible but I doubt someone would cock a revolver & stick it in a purse (or anywhere else). Besides, the reports say she had a CCW. I would think that would require some elementary testing.

The kid probably didn't even pull the gun out of the purse or grip the gun; he/she probably just fished around in the purse like kids do & inadvertently pulled the trigger. If it was a Glock, the trigger is only around 5.5 lbs. Even less if it was a Mod. 34 or modified.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If she had the gun in a proper holster the kid couldn't just pull the trigger if the trigger broke at 2lb. Another reason purse carry is a bad, bad idea.

It has been a long time since we have had little ones in the house. I have lost my edge as far as instinctively knowing when a child is making mischief. I lock everything up when little ones are in the house. I lock my carry pistol in the toolbox when I visit a home with little ones in the house.

Many people are totally unaware of the trouble kids can get into. I have gotten to the point that I ask people to take their kids somewhere when we are working on a house. We are there to repair or remodel the house, not babysit their kids.

Same thing with pets. Oh that dog won't bite. Next thing you know a 60lb dog has one of the boys cornered. The owner is saying he is just playing. Next thing you know a couple of my guys are shining their boots on their dog. Anytime a dog is growling at a stranger he aint playing.

10. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

If she put a loaded gun in her purse ready to fire with no other means of protecting the trigger she deserved to get shot. Better her than an innocent bystander.

11. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Tragic accident, they happen every day and while this was with a pistol--- Cars, open windows and climbing up the cupboards accounts for literally thousands of deaths every year. Its not a great Idea to carry a loaded firearm in a purse, backpack or any other grab bag unless it has a spot its secured and fixed.

12. morgoth

morgoth New Member

You do not know the facts or circumstances.
    No innocent person "deserves to get shot" you heartless bugger, people make mistakes, sometimes fatal mistakes.
    It's the lack of compassion and cold views like yours that is making society the shambles it is becoming.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  13. WebleyFosbery38

Morg, your a bit harsh but thats true. We often come off pretty cold when things like that are said about things like this that happen. Its one thing to chime in rough and tumble on a criminal that gets their due but this is just a mother that made a big mistake, it cost her in ways no punishment could come close to.

The only possible good that could come from that which has already happened is others could learn from it and hopefully not have to suffer this loss. Unfortunately those who make a living writing laws dont need to look long at this before they will try to use it to restrict us all For Our Own Good.

14. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Just read this article 5 minutes ago and decided to come here to see if there was a discussion. Ill chime in and agree with most. Purse carry with no holster is a stupid idea. We had some women in my ccw class and thr intrusctor specifically told them that you NEED to put your gun in a holstet and that a purse is NOT a safe way to carry. Its a terrible tragedy but one that couldve been avoided had she done some research and been properly trained. I have never heard anyone advocate for tossing a gun at the bottom of a purse for ccw. Its irresponsible and now look what happened to this poor woman and the child. I think that all ccw instuctors should address purse carry if there are women in class. I had a similar discussion with my wife. She has no ccw permit but carries a slim pocket knife and some oc spray. I noticed the other day (when trying to snag a cigarette from her purse) that her knife and oc spray were at the bottom of the purse mixed around with chapstick and other "women" stuff. We had a talk about it and i showed her why its a bad idea. She now has the pepper spray in its own seperate outside pocket and the knife is clipped to her waistband. Carrying a gun in a purse is ten times worse and i have no idea why this woman thought it was ok.

15. WebleyFosbery38

Boy I can relate with that, After watching my wife search for her keys in her purse for 25 years, Im convinced they are black holes unfit to put anything of value!

That said, ignorance does kill and way too often. Weve all seen the reports of someone shooting their nutz or foot off playing pocket pool with their pocket piece and most of us have sliced ourselves at least a couple times doing stupid things with boxcutters and pocket knives.

The cost and price is often more relevant than the particular offense, no harm = lesson learned, NBD; injury or death= a lifetime of payment or worse.

Oh how I wish I didnt screw up and nobody else did either, this could be a perfect world but statistically speaking, its better not worse than we think. Every single day, tens of millions of Law abiding American citizens do not shoot someone of get shot by their own weapons or have them fall into the hands of unwitting victims of curiosity.

Dirt and Dirty laundry sell and nothing special doesnt. We always need to keep the big picture in mind when trying to figure out whats worthy of our limited time to focus on. This aint it anymore Than Fergy The Punk or The Giant gentle Cigarette vendor without a permit to vend. These are distractions more than anything else.

16. DP03

DP03 New Member

I'm really surprised by the number of folks here that abhor manual safeties. Especially with kids around, I think they make a lot of sense. Heck, when you carry a 1911 cocked and locked, you're using a manual safety. What makes that different than the safety/decock levers on an semi auto (such as my Sig 226)? I never carry my Sig 938 without the safety engaged (a mini 1911 design). I think as long as you practice drawing and firing enough, the safety comes second nature on a lot of guns.

As you can tell by my sig below, I don't make gun buying decisions on whether or not they have manual safeties. I have both. But I think manual safeties have their advantages in some situations, and I certainly would not shy away from a good gun that has one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  17. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

OK I understand where you are coming from my statement was quite harsh, but I feel much more anger than sympathy in sitiuations like this. What if the bullet that child fired out of the gun hit your child or parent in the back of the head while you were buying bread and chips, would you still be saying that ?

18. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Ooooo.....tough crowd. :D

19. Jimski

Jimski Member

Hopefully others can learn from this womans irresponsible actions. I feel for the family and especially for the 2 year old boy that will have this terrible accident to deal with the rest of his life.

20. DP03

DP03 New Member

If I were the care givers of this child I would think it would be beneficial to never tell him. He'll never remember his Mom, unfortunately, and will never know. He will have lots of loving family that can take over and make his life great.