Cato Institute Guns and Self Defense Map

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by rocshaman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

This is an interesting interactive map from the Cato Institute that shows where people have defended themselves with guns nation wide. You can click on the color coded balloons to bring up the particulars of the crime. You can also zoom in and out for a wider view where there are a lot of crimes. Most of the crimes are in the east it appears.

http://www.cato.org/guns-and-self-defense/

2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Very cool, a good resource.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Very good indeed

4. augimatic

augimatic New Member

the only problem is people not educated or smart enough to think about it, and believe or not I run into those types quite a bit will say "Illinois has no issues because there's not a lot of bubbles there" when in fact the issue may really be that Chicago outlawed hand guns in city limits so there will be no altercations there because no one owns a gun, I wonder how many crimes would be stopped in a homes if people were allowed to own a gun in Chicago.

5. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

That's true and they also say that the map isn't comprehensive. I'm sure there are a lot more incidents out there that could be on the map but aren't for whatever reason.

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

No concealed carry in Il, however, gun ownership is allowed in Chicago. They lost the suit.

7. augimatic

augimatic New Member

Oh wow I didn't know that not that I ever want to live in the city anyway...

8. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

i was wondering if this is a static map from a specific time frame or does it refresh?

9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I know of one the cato place missed in Mississippi. A friend of a friend shot his girl's aggravated ex-whatever in the guts with a SKS, successfully defending chickie's home/probably her health too. The shootee survived and went on to the state pen for trying to run down some police officers who were trying to check his ID at a road block or something, not the smartest feller, IMO. We all were wondering if he still had the colostomy bag when he got to the pen and if that made him more "user friendly". (dude was serious dirtbag and ruin of his whole dang family prettymuch)

12. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Latest cases where a firearms has saved a users life

Here is a frequently updated list of cases where a firearm has saved the users life, stopped a robbery or halted an attempt to harm someone.

13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Think about how full that map really would be if every single person actually reported when they had to draw there weapon. I was just thinking not everyone makes it public if they have to draw to stop someone and it's not called into the police dep, I know a lot of people will call it in but some just don't for some reason or another.

14. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

In todays world, many people are probably scared they will be charged with a crime, simply for defending themselves. I cant blame them.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Why would a law abiding citizen report that the goblin ran away? Who wants to be grilled like a criminal for simply defending themselves. Even if they are not worried about the police the goblin is gone, game over.