CAT M4 Bolt Tool

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Jul 5, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

picked up a cat m4 bolt tool today

[​IMG]

very handy for getting that bolt carrier group squeeky clean. gets those hard to reach areas clear of carbon build up.

the end opposite of the pronged end is used to clean the inside on the bolt carrier of carbon. it has a slot for holding a large patch but i found it worked better just wrapping the red cotton shop towel i use around it and cleaning out the carrier.

[​IMG]

the other end is used to clean the base of the bolt. it has a groove the bolt sits in and a few turns dislodges all the baked on carbon.

[​IMG]

the cut out in the center is used to clean the carbon off the base of the firing pin.

[​IMG]

these areas have always been a pain trying to use various implents like knives screwdriver blades or just plain prolonged soaks to little success.

finally decided to try out on of these gadgets and its my new favorite AR15 tool!!!

2. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thats cool !! I have been looking at those but waiting for somebody to give some real world input. Thanks for the review :cool:

I was worried it would scratch and gouge the surface but looks like it worked pretty good.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

that was my concern too but i was already scratching up my bcg as it was so i took a chance on it. it MAY remove some anodizing off a milspec bolt but i dont think it would be a issue. it didnt seem to hurt the bolt on my wife's carbine. but ive only used it for one cleaning on two rifles so far.

its actually got a lot of play in its various applications you can use as little or as much pressure as you care to bump the carbon off. there is so much play in cleaning the innards of the bcg itself i can wrap a shop towel around it and get the inside squeeky clean.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm also wary of scraping the bolt and carrier with one of those things. I kinda think if Filthy 14 doesn't need it, then I can just soak my BCGs instead.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I scrape the bolt tail and lugs with a sliced shell casing (or two), bent to fit the contour of the surface. It is brass, so you shouldn't have any concern as the parent metal is much harder.

Whatever keeps you asleep at night though. ;)