Castle nut stake?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by jord1985, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Hey Im kinda new here so I apologise if this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but I just swapped out a new magpul ASAP plate on my AR. I didn't stake the castle nut but I made sure to load it down with blue thread-loc will this be sufficient? I've heard of them backing out but I made it nice and tight with plenty of thread loc If anyone has any first hand knowledge that would be awesome, not what you've read on other forums or heard.

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

That will be sufficient. I've never had one back on the dozens I've built.

3. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Thanks! Reading elsewhere you'd think it was like the golden rule to make sure you stake it. Guess not

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Loctite will work but if you ever need to remove it in the future it might damage the receiver extension threads or buffer tube threads. That's why staking is prefered.

Staking is easy and quicker than using loctite, just take a punch and drive a small bit of metal into the staking slot. Won't damage threads on removal.

If you are going to use blue on aluminum(not a recommended practice) only use one tiny drop. It only needs to stop the nut from walking under firing.

I'm not a fan of blue loctite for firearm use. Its got such a low melting temp that makes it pretty useless. I prefer rocksett as it will not damage threads due to its lower sheer strength and will not melt as its critical temp is higher than it takes to melt barrel steel. If your going to use anything use rocksett where you would look to use blue.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with Jon, staking is the right way to secure the castle nut and is much easier than Loctite, especially if you ever have to break it down again.