Cast load data 380 ACP

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JimsK9s, Mar 5, 2012.

1. JimsK9s

JimsK9s New Member

I picked up some 95 gr round nose cast bullets at a gun show $34 for 500 but I can't seem to find any load data. I'm looking to use Bullseye or HP-38

Thanks in advance

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier.

2. 454fan

454fan New Member

use the same data for jacketed bullet, velocity will be close to the jacketed but pressure will be lower.
    if you have data for next size up, its ok to use data from heavier bullet but not the opposite, LEE Reload manual #2 is full of good reading

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

NOOOOO! use specific data for the bullet. Using jacketed data in a blowback pistol lke a 380 and a cast bullet will give substantially more velocity and can cause problems. Pick up the Lyman manual. They have a bunch of cast bullet data

4. Nomadicone

Nomadicone New Member

Cast bullet loads require their own data. Lee and Lyman typically have good cast bullet loads. It seems to me Lee has a fairly good selection of loads for the 380 and cast bullets. I'm at work so can't check that.

5. 454fan

454fan New Member

no if you use jacketed data for cast, the velocity will be the same but lower pressure
    check with any of the guys on castboolits.com
    I have used that rule for 20 some yrs,never hurt anything. I shoot 454,45-70,204 ruger, and 223
    7.62x39 also
    the guys at cast boolits site have tons of insight on cast boolits

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My Lee book shows 3.0-3.2 for HP38 with a min OAL of .950. Always check other sources as data can vary.