Cast bullets create higher pressure?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by dgang, Jan 18, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I LOVED a semi wad cutter 9mm, IRC 127gr bullet. Gun shot it really well, until it didn't. Had a bullet keyhole at 21', and when I cleaned the barrel, pulled out strings of lead. Why? Wasn't overly hot, bullet was sized to my barrel, according the company that cast the bullets. I'd have to pull the data out of my book, but IRC, it was only running at 1,000 fps.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Here is some free data you can trust.
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Speer manual does not list data for jacketed 158 grain for 38 spec. Lee does and Lyman's 50th does. OAL is different for them VS lead and .5 grain difference in load for unique. I did not look at the 357 mag sorry.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had that happen with bullets having more lead percentage than tin and antimony content. The best bullets that I've ever cast were from printers linotype metal. My shooting buddies Dad work for Whitman Publishing and when they converted from using linotype printing, he told us to come over and pickup all the linotype metal we wanted. I swear the rear bumper on my 1976 Ford pickup was sparking as we drove home with all the lead we got. He told us the linotype was 13 to 14% antimony which makes it very hard. Those drums of lead rang like a bell as we broke it down into pieces that we could melt. Made for some super bullets that moulded and sized very well.

OLD Ron likes this.
  4. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there somebody around, or near you to translate?

5. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Perhaps you should have read comments #4 and #5.

6. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Probably not 'everything' but everyone has some thoughts based on perceptions and presumptions. Questioning one's own presumptions, or even what 'daddy said' is needed in many disciplines.

7. G8rBo

G8rBo New Member

Good link. That showed more powder, higher velocity, and less peak pressure for the cast bullet.

8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Alliant has data too. But it only shows max loads.