Cast bullet load

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by frontloader54, Feb 11, 2012.

1. frontloader54

frontloader54 New Member

I use W231 5 gr. with a Lyman 225 gr RN cast. It shoots good but wondering what others shoot.

2. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I am using 4.7 grains of Bullseye (Alliant) behind a 200 LSWC. It has been very accurate and feeds well out of both Colt Gold Cups I use with it. However, these work in my guns after developing the load up from a lessor amount and checking for any pressure signs. I say this only to ensure that you carefully develop loads yourself in your gun and do not depend on my word or anybody else's blindly. Good luck and good shooting. PS. Bulleye powder is dirty and does make a mess after only a few rounds, but for me is worth the accuracy it achieves in my guns.:)

3. frontloader54

frontloader54 New Member

Yes thanks, the 45 is the first I've loaded for some 30 years ago and it works well. I was shooting purchased cast bullets in the past but as of two years ago I've started casting my own. WW and 50/50 plumbers solder. My real question was to get a feel what others shoot for a cast load from the 1911. By looking at the Lyman loading manual, I'm about where you are.