Casing Jam!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NF50AR, Jul 11, 2013.

1. NF50AR

NF50AR New Member

This Tuesday I went Rock Castle Range in Kentucky to shoot my hand guns and rifles. Usually, out of my hand guns I shoot the RIA tactical Full size 1911 the most. I don't know why... I like it the most because it is really accurate and always shoots and functions seamlessly. When I first got it I had a trigger job, adjustable trigger, action smoothed, ramp polished and match grade barrel put in. ( Again, I don't know why when I could have bought a better quality 1911... I just did!) About every 1000 rounds I replace the guide rod spring. But for some reason this time the casing was getting lodged between the ramp and the magazine between shots... Any suggestions to what is causing this issue?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Reloads?
    If so, then check the taper crimp.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

AR,

I guess I would ask if this just started when you put the new spring in? And as Ban-fl advised if you are doing reloads have you changed anything like dies, casing brands etc? Are you shooting the same rounds as in the past. Regarding various pressures compared to Guide Rod Springs. I had a Colt one time that was very sensitive in that regard.

4. NF50AR

NF50AR New Member

They are reloads. I'll probably just stick with Winchester white box/ american eagle or buy different reloading supplies.

5. NF50AR

NF50AR New Member

I have changed the spring multiple times and I'm guessing like ban-fl mentioned its probably the reloads. Usually it shoots anything without a problem accept the reload obviously.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What weight spring do you run? If the reloads are particularly mild, you might be able to drop down a notch or two in spring weight and get things working.
    Are they your reloads? If so, you might want to have a look at warming things up a click. If they are someone else's stop using them.
    Probably not the problem....but it never hurts to check: When you have the gun apart, take the barrel and see if the rounds in question drop in all the way into the chamber with no hesitation. You'd be shocked at how little resistance is needed to bring things to a stop. Learned this one the hard way. "Plunk Test" is the technical term IIRC.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just take a look at the specs. OAL, powder charge, taper crimp, etc.....

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Most liekly on your loads you still havent removed enough of the case mouth bell from the seating operation.

I measure the case mouth on a sized case and turn my crimp die down enough to return the case to the sized dimension and no more

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

So this isn't some kind of brass jelly? I gotta get my mind off of food.