Firearms Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Pacific Durachrome dies for 38sp and also for 357 mag that came with a press I got used. After I started using the dies, I noticed that they are scratching the brass. Before going out and getting a new set of dies, I wanted to try polishing the scratches out of the dies. I used my dremel tool to run in some different polish and rubbing compounds. I can clean it up and the first two or three times, the brass will look good, but that is about it. Anybody else run into this? As it is, I have maybe two hours put into this, and am thinking that I will just replace them with a new set, and hold onto the seating dies to leave set up for different seating depths.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The dies get scratched from sizing nickel cases. Does not mean that you can not use them. Get carbide dies if you do not like the scratches.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Nickle cases do not scratch the dies. Debris on the case causes the scratches. Improper cleaning of the cases leaves grit that will scratch the cases.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
If the nickle is worn and cracked it can scratch the die. Clean, good condition nickle cases will not cause any undue problems. I have been loading nickled cases for 30 years and discard any ini questionable condition. No scratches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts