Cases blow up - Ammo or gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Bigcat_hunter, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

So my dad was shooting his Taurus 357 mag yesterday. He was shooting blazer aluminum cased .38 spl. When he fired, flames shot out of the barrel/cylinder. When he went to eject the shell it was stuck. He pried the shell out and it was cracked all the way down the case (vertical) with a hole in the bottom. For what ever reason he decided to keep shooting and it happened one more time with the same results. Could it be double charged ammunition from the factory?

2. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i'm not as much of an expert on ammo as some in this forum, but from my experience, it's the ammo.

i have tried that blazer ammo in my .357 mag. (it was all they had at that store and i was on my way to go shooting and didn't want to show up with no ammo at all) and although it didn't do what you experienced, i could see that happening with those cheapo casings.

i have had shell casings totally disintegrate before in my .22lr semi auto pistol. it was that winchester stuff that comes in the red plastic box. in the single magazine full that i fired, every second or third round the casing would disintegrate and cause the gun to jam pretty bad.

so, there's at least two kinds of factory ammo that i now know to avoid.

blazer .357 mag. and winchester .22lr.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazer aluminum in a variety of guns with no problems at all. I would look hard at the gun myself, especially since Taurus can and does have problems at a higher rate than other brands...

4. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

Shot lots of Blazer aluminum in semiautos and revolvers. Never a problem in either. Sounds like one of the chambers could be out of spec.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I have fired lots of Blazer aluminum.

In .45acp I have had many, many split cases out of my 1911's. Nothing else splits, just Blazer Aluminum. I put it down to a brittle batch of Aluminum in those particular lots.

I have never had any harm to the guns because of it.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Aluminum is not as playable as brass I believe.

Maybe you got a batch that didn't get annealed very well. I would if possible test some of the ammo in another gun.