Case trimmers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by west33, Mar 29, 2014.

1. west33

west33 New Member

I'm looking for a good case trimmer for a reasonable price. Any recommendations ? Thanks!

2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like my Hornady. But I also like my brothers RCBS, and a buddies Sinclair.

Dignity, Honor, and Respect: At least until they do something so dishonorable, or disrespectful that your left so indignant you have to rip their head off.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the Forsters brand and it has interchangeable pilots and shell holders and it works pretty good. they are not cheap, but the one i have came from my father is over 40 years old and still going strong. the cutter has never been replaced and i have no idea as to the number of shells it has trimmed, but it's quite a few over the years.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I have the redding 2400 match trimmer. No need for shell holders. The micrometer adjustment makes it easy to set up.

5. west33

west33 New Member

Thanks for all the help! I will check them all out

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Redding, Forster, RCBS. all good to go. Dillon is the fastest.:D

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

There's a lot of good trimmers on the market.

I have an older Fosters manual trimmer,Hornaday manual trimmer,and a RCBS powered trimmer. Since buying the RCBS power trimmer that's the one I use the most,which works for my volume of trimming for casual target shooting and hunting.

Like Loutus stated Dillion is probably the fastest trimmer on the market,geared for high volume trimming such as commercial reloading or high volume competition rifle shooting.

I'm very happy with the RCBS for my trimming needs.

8. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

Lyman universal trimmer works great for me,especially if your buy the power adapter that fits into a drill

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I use the simplest of all - Lee. The hand held cutter is about $7, the case specific case length gauge and shell holder is about $6. Chuck the case into a cordless drill and trim away.

I own a manual lathe type trimmer also, and it no longer gets used.

http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/case-trimming-tools/

10. west33

west33 New Member

Thanks for all the help! Sounds like there are lots of good trimmers to choose from

11. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

I would avoid any trimmers with the collet style case holder. In my opinion they are slow and apt to misalign the case. I had one and replace it with a RCBS Case Trim Pro 2, and what a difference, night an day. The RCBS works great and utilizes their univeral case holder with a clamping mechanism to hold the case against a reference point. It is much quicker to take cases in and out than the collet style.

I just used my RCBS trimmer last night and did 125, 30-06 and about 50, 300 AAC Blackout. I trimmed, and inside and out chamfered (by hand), and primered all the 30-06 all of these in 2 hours. If if had a case prep center to chamfer it would have cut the time down significantly.

The other trimmer I would look into if you want to spend a little bit more money is a L.E. Wilson, they use specialty case gauges to hold the cases, and they reference off of the shoulders of the cases, so you buy a case gauge for a family of cases that have the same shoulder. I've never used one but thought long and hard about saving for one rather than the RCBS.

The individual Lee Trimmers that people have been posting about are great as well.

But please save yourself some headache and avoid the collet style trimmers.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  12. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I'm with Bayou on this the Lee trimmer serves me well, I even adapted a cutter to fit onto my RCBS Work Station, to move things along.

I also have a Possum Hollow in 223 for when I was doing bulk runs.

My Lyman collet trimmer basically collects dust anymore.

13. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Hi, Steel_Talon -

Interesting idea about adapting your Lee cutter onto your RCBS Work Station. Do you have a pic of what you have there so we can see? Sounds like a creative idea......

Thanks....

14. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I'll see what I can come up with. Basically I originally tapped in a 3/8 twist stud to the bottom of the cutter. Then I adapted a multi head screw driver to hold the lock stud for the case. Gimme a day or two and I'll get a pic up here.

15. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Very nice of you. Thanks!

16. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014