Case Knives

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by NunWaGun, May 22, 2008.

1. NunWaGun

NunWaGun New Member

Does anyone here have a Case knife, want to post a picture?

I am wondering if anyone else has old ones with the bone handles...

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a newer Case. It's a lockback Gentleman's Folder it has Micarta bolsters. It's a handsome knife and it spends most of it's time in a dresser drawer.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

yup

I have a couple of Case fixed-blades. Quite possibly the nicest factory made knife in America. Technical imbecillities make pictures an impossibility. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

just found this thread you still interested in old case knives? i have some xx and tested xx

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got quite a few of them in my collection, they make nice slipjoints for a fair price. The steel on their stainless blades is not very good, but their carbon steel (CV) blades are quite nice. I wish they offered more patterns in carbon steel.

It's a pity that they don't make any CV fixed blades, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow after work.

6. 30-30remchester

have to agree with you on stainless steel blades. they are difficult to sharpen. case built the finest production folders and the widest range of models. older case fixed blade were carbon steel. their is a saying in the knife industry relating to folders it goes like this " if it doesnt rust, if it doesnt have bone handles, if it doesnt have a shield, it doesnt go in my pocket". having a fairly good pocket knife is like having a fairly good parachute.

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Amen!

There are some great stainless steels out there, but the usual stuff Case uses is far from the quality of premium stainless. I LOVE their CV knives, though.

For summer carry in my hot and humid corner of the world I've settled on an AG Russell Premium Scout. It's got all the nice features of traditional pocket knives (bone handles, nice shield which can be engraved and a bail), but the main blade is made out of 154CM, a rather nice stainless steel.

I do own a few stainless Case knives (all folders) I haven't had trouble sharpening them, but the edge retention is too poor for my taste.

I forgot to take the pics, I promise I will tonight!

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Love the older ones, but it now seems like they are made as collector items first, and pocket knives second. Almost like the Franklin Mint of the cutlery world.

9. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I've got a Case collector's set someplace. The knives have fake scrimshaw, plastic handles. They were given to me as a gift about 20 years ago.

11. 30-30remchester

Case knives WERE the standard that all others were just by. However in 1970 the Case family sold its ownership in the company and as happens most time, quality suffered after that date. Old man Case was the father of the knife industry in our country. His influence was wide spead. His relatives started many companies including Western knives. Old Case knives are the most sought after and valuable folders around. The days of the old folders seem to be gone. To hold a bone handled knife with blades of carbon steel that has a long matchstriker pull and double cut swedges, a beautiful nickel bomb shield , nickel pinched bolsters and brass liners, is like fondling a fine old firearm. Like older firearms, older knives were all handbuilt by craftsmen , one at a time. Unfortunately like firearms that are now made of plastic and potmetal, the knife market has followed suit. Now the knife industry is headed for the " all steel and industructable" standard. Plastic guns and all steel knives have no personality. Just like a beautiful wife, a quality knife or gun need to be taken care of and charished, and act of taking care of them shouldnt be a chore but an act of reverence.