Cartridge Of The Day.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Axxe55, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

22-250 vs. the 220 Swift, vs. the 223 Rem.

which one makes the best varmint cartridge?

why were two so much more successful than the other one?

myth or fact that 220 Swifts were barrel burners?

is velocity all that it's cracked up to be?

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I`m NOT going to argue which one is the best varmint cartridge, but the .223 Rem. is the cheapest & your barrel will last longer !................

3. Axxe55

but it could have ended up being the 22-250, or the 222 Rem. or even the 222 Rem. Mag. that were the one, instead of the 223 Rem.!

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I like the 6.5x55 myself !.....................

5. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

22-250 vs. the 220 Swift, vs. the 223 Rem

As with most questions of the type, what are the criteria?

.223 Remington is cheapest to load, AND is the least 'noisy' over a distance. It is also the one with the shortest range.

Hard to say. Marketing probably has something to do with it. And there are inventions that are just 'before their time'.

It is very true that was the common perception, which was probably why it wasn't as 'successful' as it might have been. In later times, many thought that newer powders and more advanced cleaning methods would have 'fixed' the problem.

Glenn Cunningham thought so. Again, you're leaving off part of the question: "Is velocity all that it's cracked up to be - in order to do what?"

For a varmint round, higher velocity usually gives more range, with less drop. However, it also makes the projectile a bit more susceptible to wind drift. Higher velocity gives more kinetic energy, which may or may not mean a cotton pickin' thing. Higher velocity does impress most of the guys.

I bought a .22-250 several years ago. I like it. So far, I have not shot a single small, furry pest. But I have made a couple of very tiny (less than half an inch) with it.

6. Axxe55

no particular criteria. just looking for others thoughts and preferences in between the three cartridges. maybe open up some discussion about the three.

of the three, i have owned the 220 Swift and the 223 Rem. but just haven't had the opportunity to own a rifle in 22-250.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've owned ll three.

The .220 was the most accurate. but it was built on a RTemington 40XB single shot action qith a Hart barrel.

The .22-250 was a bit disappointing. But it was an off the shelf Ruger No. 1V..

The .223 is my favorite, by far. (In AR-15s)

But any one of the three can be "best" depending on what you use it for.

8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I think the accuracy of ammo per se is overrated. More often than not it is the rifle, not the cartridge. The 7.62x39 is prime example. I defer to others on the hunting calibers, because I don't use them, but in tactical and handgun calibers the ammo factor is #3, behind the shooter and the gun.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You kinda have to match em all up, you know..........The rifle, ie; the riflings twist, the bullet weight & design, how hard you push it, the shooters skill, they just kinda all add up to great accuracy !..................

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Not necessarily,With the twist rates that most other calibers come in from the factories,the 223 can stabilize heavier bullets and perform very well at longer ranges.
    Most 22-250's come with a 1-12 twist,and the 223 can be had in 1-7/1-8/1-9/or 1-12 twist,and shoot bullets up to 90 grains. The 22-250 does good at 45-60 grain bullets,and the wind can have a big effect on them even at the higher fps they are traveling.
    I'll take a well stabilized,accurate heavy bullet over a fast lighter bullet any day of the week.

I've never came across any animal in the field that is using a radar gun to see how fast a bullet is traveling towards them.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Actual barrel life is measured in seconds. Figure 5-10 seconds on average. The higher the speed the shorter the life. Remember a bullet is not in the barrel very long.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I used to think the same thing. IME, good ammo

does give an edge over cheap military stuff.

I like .223/5.56, but I've only used a long

heavy barrel, and have not compared it to

220 swift or 22/250.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Ammo is a factor, especially in a 7.62x39. Both of my SKS rifles are horrible with steel case ammo of any flavor. But they love Winchester soft point ammo. In fact, both of my SKS's will rival a Marlin 60 for accuracy with good brass ammo. Even my 91/30 shoots better with brass ammo. The 91/30 shoots very acceptable groups with 203 gr Barnaul ammo. It shoots better groups with 180 gr brass ammo. I haven't tried other ammo because I only shoot soft point ammo.