Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
In reloading process, i) when to lubricate the case (after depriming?) ii) how to lubricate (spray or tumble?) iii) where to lube (inside cartridge case?) iv) how long to dry before primimg, throwing powder etc?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ah, lube, so much fun. There are two ways I lube, either the infamous One Shot spray lube, or RCBS liquid. I deprime and resize with one die, so the tumbled and inspected brass get stood up in lines on a paper towel, in the carport, and sprayed with One Shot. I nail them from all four sides of the table, angled so some of the spray goes in the case mouth. Just a couple of seconds on a side, let dry a few minutes, then pick them up on the towel and bring them into the reloading room for deprime/resize.
When I am using the liquid lube, I use the RCBS Lube Pad, and spread some on the lube pad, lay out clean, inspected cases on the pad, roll them back and forth a little bit, then stand the up waiting for the next group, usually less than ten at a time on the pad. I will also pick them up and kind of rub the case mouth in the lubed pad just to get a little bit inside the case mouth. Then I deprime, resize, then after that I roll the deprimed resized brass on another paper towel, (just to remove excess lube), before setting them up in the reloading block to wait for primers.
Hope that helps - there will be someone along shortly to tell you how bad One Shot is. ;) Before I started powder coating, I also used One Shot to lube cast bullets prior to sizing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, lube, so much fun. There are two ways I lube, either the infamous One Shot spray lube, or RCBS liquid. I deprime and resize with one die, so the tumbled and inspected brass get stood up in lines on a paper towel, in the carport, and sprayed with One Shot. I nail them from all four sides of the table, angled so some of the spray goes in the case mouth. Just a couple of seconds on a side, let dry a few minutes, then pick them up on the towel and bring them into the reloading room for deprime/resize.
When I am using the liquid lube, I use the RCBS Lube Pad, and spread some on the lube pad, lay out clean, inspected cases on the pad, roll them back and forth a little bit, then stand the up waiting for the next group, usually less than ten at a time on the pad. I will also pick them up and kind of rub the case mouth in the lubed pad just to get a little bit inside the case mouth. Then I deprime, resize, then after that I roll the deprimed resized brass on another paper towel, (just to remove excess lube), before setting them up in the reloading block to wait for primers.
Hope that helps - there will be someone along shortly to tell you how bad One Shot is. ;) Before I started powder coating, I also used One Shot to lube cast bullets prior to sizing.
Thank you so much for detailed response! Gonna give your method a chance and see how we do. I assume no issues with charge throwing after the lube?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Okay so for a different perspective; I decap with a dedicated decapping die and then clean / tumble my brass. Once clean and dry I will resize. Resizing in a separate operation this way ensures dirty brass never touches my sizing dies. When I lube with One Shot I put a hand full of brass into a ziploc bag; spray into the bag and then give the bag a good shake. Brass then gets dumped out to dry. For how long? Till it is dry to the touch, which is normally not more than a minute or two (time will depend on how much you spray them with). If you can see the lube on your cases you sprayed too much.

Reactions: Seedy Character

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.223 rifle.
Okay so for a different perspective; I decap with a dedicated decapping die and then clean / tumble my brass. Once clean and dry I will resize. Resizing in a separate operation this way ensures dirty brass never touches my sizing dies. When I lube with One Shot I put a hand full of brass into a ziploc bag; spray into the bag and then give the bag a good shake. Brass then gets dumped out to dry. For how long? Till it is dry to the touch, which is normally not more than a minute or two (time will depend on how much you spray them with). If you can see the lube on your cases you sprayed too much.
Thank you, Sir. I now have a number of option....I'll try them and see which works best for me.

·
Registered
STG-58
46 Posts
I don't lube any pistol cartridges ran through carbide dies.

For rifle brass, I use Imperial Die Wax or... plain old "mink oil" for shoes.

In tens of thousands of rounds loaded since the early 80's, I have never stuck a shell (knock on wood). I load everything from .223 to .50 bmg.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have used Hornady One Shot for 30 years.

Now, all my pistol dies are carbide. I still give a squirter of One Shot.

I bought Universal decapping die, a few years back. I decap and clean in walnut hull and Nu Finish, before resizing.

For bottle neck cases, RCBS lube and pad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts