Cartridge compatibility

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by zimm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. zimm

zimm New Member

I recently came across a cartridge compatibility chart I received from somewhere a number of years ago. I browsed over it and found nothing particularly earth shattering until I came to one section which caught my eye. It stated that the .303 British and the 7.7mm Arisaka cartridges are completely interchangeable. I knew the bullet diameters were identical between them, but I would never have thought they were interchangeable. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Would it be safe to actually fire .303 British ammo in a 7.7mm Jap rifle?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Forget safe, try impossible. The .303 Brit is a rimmed cartridge, the Arisaka is rimless. Arisaka is 58mm long, Brit is 56.4

Would not rely on what you have as a guide.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

that chart is probably referring only to the projectile portion of the cartridge. both use .311 bullets in similar weights. the fully loaded cartridges as C3 says arent swappable

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The bullet is the same, case dimensions are close but not exact, as C3 said the .303 is rimed and the 7.7 is rimless... If you reload 7.7 brass can be made from 30-06.. I read that .303 load data can be used in the Arisaka, but be careful, ive found this isnt always so...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A Speer, Lyman, or Hornady reloading guide would be a whole lot better

information source...

Rule of thumb, if you're not absolutely certain

the ammo was made for the gun, don't use it.