carrying with one in the chamber?..unsure

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by REDMIST89, May 16, 2012.

1. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

ive been carrying for a lil bit now and im comfortable with it an all,even found s good driving spot for it..but ive only carried with 16+1 a few times n i was nervous as hell the whole time..i guess the idea of the gun for some reason goin off while its tucked in my pants is well scares me..i usually carry full mag but not cocked,but ik in a SHTF situation that one in the tube might be my saving bullet if there isnt time to rack the slide.So those who carry similar guns with out external safety and only a trigger saftey could you perhaps tell me if my fears are unfounded or not? thanx and i accept any critism from this,as this is somethin youd genarally learn in classes,etc..but in PA no class required so,i got the good people Fire Arms Talk to help me hopefully

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What pistol you carrying? I carry all my 1911s fully loaded hammer back.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

S&W sigma SW9VE 9mm

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good gun. Get you a good IWB holster contoured to your gun and it wont be a problem.

5. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

thats what id like but ive yet to find one contoured to my particular gun..seen glocks of all kind,1911's,XDs,etc but none for the sigma. I have currently a cheap lil IWB holster made from nylon or something and it suits the use but i just dont trust holstering in it with one chambered

6. powerstrokin

powerstrokin New Member

By just tucked into your pants do you mean no holster? If so there's your first issue. Get a holster. Please.

I OC the Beretta PX4 Storm in my avatar pic. F converted to g, decocker only. (SA/DA) Always 14+1. At first I was a little nervous but it didn't take long to get comfortable carrying that way.

In the unfortunate chance I ever have to draw I will be ready.

I do practice with one chambered and without but I never carry without one in the pipe.

Your adrenaline will already have you at a disadvantage so why compound that by carrying a paper weight?

7. powerstrokin

powerstrokin New Member

And my bad on the holster comment we posted at the same time.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ask canebreak, c3shooter, or jonM which would be best. Cane would prob be your best bet though.

9. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

Boldthis is why i wanna start carrying 16+1 because i don't wanna have to fumble around trying to chamber a round with adrenaline flowing if a situation were i need to draw my weapon comes up..i wanna be ready to defend myself/others if need be.

I think if i were to just start carring one in the tube regularly as u said id get used to the idea,just the initial hesitation to do it regularly has got me.

10. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

i think i'll PM him,as my google searches have turned up empty :confused:

11. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Have you checked Blade-Tech by any chance? I forget what all they offer on the site, but I remember it being a decent selection. That's where I got my IWB for my XDM .40, wanna say it ran me $65-$70, got in a couple weeks.

12. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

13. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

As far as one in the chamber you should do what makes you feel comfortable but, with the right holster and safe gun handling one in the chamber is the best way to carry.

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Most of the leather holsters for a Glock 22 should work with your Sigma, If you want a Kydex holster the Glock holster should still work, a hybrid holster like the Thesis brand should still work as Glock 22 is almost the same shape and size as the Sigma. I have a buddy with a Sigma and I will check it against my G22 to make sure.

Personally I do not like the nylon holsters for Glocks or Sigma's due to the chance of it folding into the trigger guard, just my .02

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve a G19, so I can’t speak for all trigger ‘safetyed’ pistols. All the Glock leg cases I remember reading about were due to something snagging the trigger when re-holstering, not when drawing, or the when a finger was inside the trigger guard when it shouldn’t have been.

If I was in an environment where I felt the need to carry, I think I would have one in the pipe (Look at me! I sound like a tuff guy! :D). I would think you'd want to be able to shoot back even if you've been shot first. Having to rack a slide might be hard if you've been knocked to your *** and bleeding.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I carry a Kahr 9mm. If it ain't chambered its a rock, and expensive rock but still thats all it is. If a BG is with in 30 feet of you and wants you , you will not clear your pistol and rack the slide before the BG is on you. Chambered cut that to 21 feet. Even closer?? If chambered, you can maybe keep a BG at arms reach with one hand while back peddleing while still get to your pistol to fire on the BG . Not so with an empty chamber.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Your pistol is a modern SAFE firearm. It is PERFECTLY safe to carry with one in the chamber. It has a passive firing pin block that will prevent it from firing if dropped (from a significant height). The trigger pull is sufficiently heavy to prevent discharge unless you intend to fire.

Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot and you will never have a problem.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Just carrying a handgun "tucked" in your pants is one of the unsafest things that you can do. You have a right to feel nervous, get a good IWB holster and you wont have to worry about it. Carrying a firearm with a chambered round is a must. Some people on here that have no experience with altercations while armed will tell you " i can rack the slide and load the gun in the same time it takes to draw it"....i highly doubt it... Well let someone grab you from behind or jump you around a corner and then see how much time you have. Always carry one in the tube

19. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

You carry how you feel comfortable. It doesn't matter on how we carry. Everybody has there own way.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I could go all medieval on you as I have (often) to others in the past but.........I won't.

I must first make my obligatory remarks;
    1. "I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I SAFELY remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!"
    2. Racking a round to battery can be done in a heartbeat..........more than likely, your last heartbeat!
    3. If you are afraid of the gun you carry, maybe it's best you don't carry!"

OK, learning moment out of the way.

Living in PA I have two suggestions.
    For winter/cool months, hands down, the Tommy Theis Concealment Holster.

http://www.theisholsters.com/holsters.php

You can e-mail Tommy and have him find the holster you need. He does return e-mails.

If you sweat a lot get it in horsehide. The J-clips are much more belt friendly.

For summer/hot months and the quick run to the 711 You can not beat the Remora "No Clip" Holsters.

http://remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html

Call Jacqui (239)207-0602 and have her find the holster you need.

If you sweat a lot get it with the sweat shield.​

Remember, if you call/e-mail any sellers be sure to tell them you saw their products here on the FireArmsTalk.com forum!