Carrying While Running

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by USMC-03, Dec 14, 2010.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Anyone here carry while running? I usually wear a camelbak while running and keep a pistol in one of the compartments. I like the thought of having it more accessible if needed...not really a fan of needing to take my pack off to access my weapon if needed. I run a lot of back country roads by my place, where anything from stray dogs to bad guys driving down the road could be a problem. Anyone know any good methods for carrying in typical running clothes? Also, what is your weapon of choice while running? I have a PF9 and a Glock 27 for small carry type guns. All my others are full size models. Thanks in advance.

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

USMC,

I don’t know if anyone still makes it but there was a small chest pack that was like a reverse back pack but very small and had a compartment for wallet, keys and such. It also had a Velcro side pocket that you could slide a small revolver or auto into a holster similar to the fanny pack. It attached with two quick clips on one side, was made of nylon and could be cinched snug so it would not bounce on your chest during the run. The straps crossed in the back and were stitched in an X pattern to prevent slippage. I’ll see if I can find who made it and if it is still manufactured.

Scubie

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've always wanted to be able to carry while running but was never able to find a good method.

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hummmm, maybe I'll have Glass make one and send it out for eval. :cool:

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Camelback used to make a hydration system specifically for packing a pistol, I will try and get the model name, but I think it hung a little lower on the back, and had an easy access pocket on the very bottom that would hold the pistol sideways. Lemme go look around the interwebz a bit.

7. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

It's called the Camelback Demon, but it looks like it may be a little large for running, maybe perfect for the occasional short hike though...

8. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Smart Carry Holster
    SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

It is a ccw holster that is positioned over the groin. Completely invisable under jeans and shorts. I remember reading a review or testamonial that it is was decently comfortable to run with. Pretty sure you would get better results with a Kel Tec PF9 vs a full sized pistol. I wouldnt what 3 pounds of steel slapping down on my junk.

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Eberlestock makes a great chest pack that can be connected to an existing backpack.

10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Awesome, thanks for all the info. I have thought about the belly band. I'm going to look up that Camelbak too.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

12. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I used a belly band a several years ago when I used to bike. I was working 2nd shift and would come home and hit the back roads with essentially zero traffic and peddle my *** off at 2am. It was quick to get to and kept me from being dinner for a german sheppard one night. He only bit me once though. No people issuess.
    It worked really well on the bike. Wouldn't leave home without it on the bike. Though running would have a bit more force, I would think if it was sintched up tight enough it would work just fine.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I run 20 miles or so per week, mostly on rural roads in the day, but sometimes late-night (1am) in town. I briefly gave this some thought but ultimately decided that there just weren't many practical uses for a firearm except in the rare instance that you might need to inject yourself into an existing situation as a third party. I'm one of those odd folks that even most mean dogs seem to tolerate, so that isn't a huge concern. Male runners aren't really targets for BGs. First off, they're probably fitter than the BG. And second, they carry so little on them that the loot would never warrant the risk. I don't even carry music because I like to be aware of traffic/surroundings. And I doubt anyone wants my $25 Timex that bad, lol.

If circumstances dictated that I carry while running, I'd probably look into something extremely light and compact in a belly band. I'd consider the light 9's from KelTec, along with the KelTec/Ruger 380s. Gotta be light weight, gotta have zero movement.

14. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  15. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

Here is a jogging holster that I have been thinking about getting. Seems very versatile. It also has a waterproof liner to keep the gun nice and dry. Seems you could wear it like a belly band working out and lifting weights.

Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns

I might pick one up after Christmas.

16. SecPro

SecPro New Member

The guy makes it look gay though...:)

17. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

Nothing I can do about that........................

It does look useful for an active person though. I will try it out and let you know what I think.

18. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

What do you carry? If you have something like a super light weight LCP or anything in that class, you could wear that with jogging pants or running shorts or what ever it is that you wear. As long as they have a drawstring you should be ok. I'm not a runner, but with my nephews around all the time, I tend to not know when I'll be making a trip aroun d the house and my IWB with blue jeans has never let it move. It's not any kind of retention holster, it simply keeps it in place by the pressure of my belt against my body. Good luck to you.

19. User Name

User Name New Member

When I go jogging I carry an LCP in my camelback.

20. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I carry my Ruger LCP in a Pistol Wear belly holster. Stays very secure and the pistol doesn't move at all; never have to worry about it popping out or getting wet from sweat.