Carrying while intoxicated

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by gearhead396, Aug 6, 2012.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Okay guys I know a few people who carry after they have had a few beers while they're not totally drunk intoxicated and I do not think they would make a stupid decision after having a few beers I don't think it's right to carry even after one drop if I'm going out to drink I don't even bring my sidearm so i wanted to get everyone's honest opinion on if you carry if you've been drinking or if you've been taking pills or you know any thing that intoxicates you

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

no excuse for carrying aninking any ammount just as there is no excuse for driving under any ammount of intoxicant.

if you dont have enough self control and self worth to not consume 1 drop of alcohol while doing something that can cause severe injury to yourself your loved ones or a total stranger you have no business owning a car or gun.

i simply do NOT understand what is so blasted important about drinking while your driving or carrying a gun.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I no longer drink anything (diabetes covers that for you) so is no longer an issue for me- BUT back when I did, gun stayed home.

My best friend and our sons would do a bachelor hunting trip once a year. Agreement was, dinner over, guns cleaned and PUT AWAY, we would break out the bourbon and cards.

4. Kdub

Kdub New Member

In my state the law states that as long as you are under.08 you can operate a car. What is wrong with having a few beers and driving home as long as your are lawful abiding? I'm sure I can have 2 beers and operate a car better than most people can sober. That being said I carry no firearm if I have any amount of alcohol.

5. veronica

veronica New Member

I could imagine a lot of problems if one had consumed any alcohol and got into a situation that they needed to use their gun. :-(

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Life is full of options.

Option 1 is to carry.
    Option 2 is to get drunk.

There is no sane reason to combine the 2 options together (that I can think of)

Heck, I don't even drive after 1 beer (my choice).

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Carrying while intoxicated is dumber than voting for Obama.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Fireams and alcohol dont mix,Carrying a firearm while drinking is very irresponsible.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

The answer should be obvious ... don't mix firearms with alchohol ... but time and again it is show to not be so :(

a little aside - the NYPD has guidelines for it's undercover detectives that establish drinking protocols while on duty undercover at nightclubs/parties. That's right folks ... they permit their officers to consume while on duty in official capacity. this came to light on a botched gun grab at a club where officers went OK corral out in the streets, killing a civilian .... and finding NO illegal guns :rolleyes:

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

There has been a couple times where ive had a party at my buddys house swimming and ive had maby two beers at most. But i always locked my firearm in my truck and stopped drinking five or six hours before i went home. So there is no way i had any alcohol in my system and even if i did my wife has always with me and if i knew there was even a remote chance i let her hold it until we get home.

11. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Well I don't drink unless I am at home. And then maybe 1 beer. But I agree 1000000000000% if you have one drop put your weapon away!!!

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I work in a hospital. You would be surprised how many people swear they only had "2 beers" and have an alcohol level 3 times the legal limit. I believe it is too hard to judge what one's blood alcohol level is.

I'm glad you act responsibly.

13. rurak

rurak New Member

I know someone who conaiatently drinks and drives almost everyday. Hes been doing it for 40 years and has never been caught. Its amazing

14. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Lots of murderers, robbers, rapists and drug dealers haven't been caught yet. Still doesn't make it right.

15. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was pulled over for a tail light being out one night coming home from dinner. When the officer ask me if I had anything to drink, I told him I had one mixed drink with dinner. He didn't even look up from writing the ticket. He finished the ticket and told me to drive safe. I was floored! I told him I had been drinking and he did nothing (this was before I CCed)!! So I stopped him and said, "Not that I'm complaining, but why didn't you test me for alcohol?"

He says, "You told me you only had one drink, and I believe you."

Still incredulous, I asked, "But why? You don't know me from Adam!".

"Because you told me you had one drink. Everyone that lies to me says the exact same thing - 'I had two beers.' "

So to law enforcement, "two beers" is synonymous with a lie! It's completely different to claim only two beers and actually limit one's self to that. DMV charts show a man over 210 lbs can drink 4 drinks an hour (drink = 1.5 oz hard alcohol, 8 oz wine or 12 oz beer) and not be impaired.

The problem is actually two-fold: first, get anyone that drinks to understand a 40 oz bottle is NOT one drink! Second, get them to stop lying! You're not fooling the cops, and it can actually endanger your life with some medications when you lie to medical personnel. Keep the "two beers" answer for someone that might believe you, like your wife or drinking buddies! :p B)

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

What most people don't realize though is that LEOs can arrest you for a DUI even if you are under .08. Back when they had DUI and DWI that's when the .08 mattered but now if you blow a .02 you are still driving under the influence.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Long story short- I got pulled over years ago for a b.s. reason, blew under, and was charged. I fought it in court and got out of it, but cost me $$$.

18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm screwed if they were to take me in. I take oxy and morphine everyday but I have to go to work to pay the bills.

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would you be screwed? If you have a prescription you should be ok, unless you appear to be drunk.

20. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Even under prescriptions you can be arrested for a DUI :mad: