Carrying while dressed semi formal

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Hectocotylus, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I am looking for holster recommendations for carrying with a dress shirt tucked in, but not a jacket. I know I could get a super tuck or similar but the clips would stand out clear as day. Anybody have any recommendations?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would wear the jacket anyway. Just my opinion.

3. fupuk

fupuk New Member

What weapon will you be carrying? Ever tried out a ankle holster?

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

Clips will only stand out to those who know what they are, most don't. MHO you understand.

5. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Galco sells "C Clips" for the King Tuk that are pretty discreet. You have to really be looking for them to see them.

6. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Those c clips put the weight on your pants not on your belt though right

7. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Yes I agree but in something like a church setting people will notice why someone has two big clips on their belt.

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I'm with Winds on this wear a jacket. What good is a gun that you have to dig for? Concealed carry isn't just about hiding the gun, it's also about ease of use. When fractions of a second count you don't want to be untucking your shirt to get to your gun.

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Hahaha! agree, one of my personal "pet peeves".
    The difference between a clip and a magazine. :D

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

Thought you meant clips on the Super Tuck, not magazines.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  11. techiej

techiej New Member

They also make velcro clips that work fairly well.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

What kind of gun are we talking abou? A S&W J Frame will disapear in a pocket holster. I also carry a Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster. You would never know either one was their...especialy in a pair of slacks.

13. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

You are correct, and not many would know what the emblem is. Some shrink tubing will cover it for those concerned.
    It's just that when I hear clip used in relation to a weapon, a bell goes off.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

After 17 years off CCW while dressed as you describe I can tell you that I own a sack full of holsters worth about $1500.00 and NONE of them worked.

4 years ago I picked up a KAHR PM 9 and a Kahr belly band. The band set me back $15.00

When worn low around the hips it allows you to position your sidearm anywhere you like, does not have the "visible" belt clips, does not try to drag your pants down, AND eliminates the annoying problem of balancing your gun on the office TP holder while conducting a class 2 download in the public RR...;)

Buddy, this has been by EDC for 4 years now and I can honestly say its the best combination for discreet carry I've ever used...and I've just about used em all.

For $15 give it a shot...had I tried this first, I'd have 2 or 3 more guns with the money I've wasted on holsters.

Tack

15. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

So I am assuming this belly band is tuckable?

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I thought a jacket was required for semi formal. In fact, semi formal was required for the 100 year anniversary party for the company I worked for & their definition was a suit! Since I don't dress that way & was already on record as retiring, I didn't attend & didn't care if it ticked them off or not!:)

Anyway, since I can't personally imagine IWB as being comfortable, I also vote for wearing a jacket for cover.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yep...strap it on around your hips, pull your slacks up, tuck your shirt in, and belt everything closed.

A quick tug at your shirt will expose and give access to your gun. The velcro band is strapped to your hips, not your pants or belt so it's completely tuckable.

Tack

18. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

My everyday carry gun is a Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser
    in a Alabama Holster Works kydex pocket holster. Right front
    pants pocket. Formal, informal, it doesn't matter.
    A bit underpowered, but the .380 in my pocket beats the
    45 at home "because it wouldn't conceal with what I was
    wearing".

That said--what you need is an example of a good Texas
    tradition. The Barbecue gun. Good tooled leather holster,
    blinged out 1911. Perfectly suitable for the Sunday-after-church
    get together, wedding, funeral and everything in between.:)

19. Car54

Car54 New Member

20. ZackBlack

ZackBlack New Member

Get a "smart carry" man. Easy and comfortable.