carrying spare mag in back pocket

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by potentialglock, Nov 4, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I carry my lc9 everyday. Currently I don't have a mag carrier. So I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. This means I sit on it when I'm in public. When I'm at home I'll pull it out a.d set it on whatever surface I'm next to. However do I need to worry about the magazine bending/breaking etc?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It might bend eventually. I keep 2 13round xd45 mags in my front pocket.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I sometimes carry a 1911 mag in my back pocket. But I prefer a cargo pocket if I have one.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I try to use my double single stack case for that very reason. I don't want to damage the mags.
    However I will throw a single mag in my back pocket when I head out without preparation.

I have never had any noticable changes to the mags, they are pretty tough.

What I have had a problem with is 'stuff' migrating into the mag.
    Stuff has included a piece of cigar wrapper, pocket lint and I think even some chocolate or caramel (from a wrapper?).

The 'stuff' is what i worry about.

5. potentialglock

Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"

6. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I may get kicked out of the dad's union for saying this, but dad's wrong on this one. In my opinion, carrying one in the tube is the only sensible way to carry. If you need to use the gun, you will barely have time to draw and fire, much less draw, rack the round, then fire. A gun is a dangerous tool. It's supposed to be dangerous. It's also a tool that can be carried safely by a careful person. The person is what makes the gun safe, not the round that is or is not in the tube.

I carry an XDm which has no manual safety. The gun has a round in the chamber and the striker is set. My safety is between my ears and the lever for the safety is my trigger finger which stays OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the gun is on target. Rigid discipline of the trigger finger is essential no matter what kind of gun you are carrying.

7. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I carry my Kel tec pf9 mag in the knife pocket, or whatever you call it, on the right hand pocket.

8. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Dad's going to have to accept that you are an adult and are responsible for your firearms and safety. This reminds me of when my son was in his 20's and bought a crotch rocket, my mother couldn't believe that I would "let" him ride it. "He's a grown man" I told her. I'm sure if she was younger, she would have grabbed him by his ear and pulled him off that bike.

9. slog

slog New Member

You carry IWB? Wal Mart's got a few holsters with mag holders. I got the full sized blackhawk and it's great. Costs $15 compared to the $35 I paid for the composite holster for my glock and I actually like it better. Reversible thumb strap and hook, belt loops on both sides.

10. potentialglock

Yes I do. I don't like the mag holster combined into gun holster. If I'm reaching for my second mag I don't want to do a cross draw.

11. SumptersGhost

SumptersGhost New Member

Find a belt clip holster that will fit your mag. A lcp mag will fit into a latex glove pouch. 2 lc9 mags will fit into a nylon handcuff holster. It may take some time to find the right pouch but there is just about something out there to clip everything on your belt nowadays.

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I will not nor do I recommend anyone carry a mag in their 'pocket' unless it is in a mag holder!!!:confused:
    It is to easy to get crap in the mag and/or damage the lips!:(

13. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The biggest problem with pocket carry, as has been pointed out, is lint and "stuff" from you pocket. And magazines weren't meant to be sat upon, either.

I have seen rubber caps that will fit over the exposed cartridge end of a magazine, don't know where to tell you to look. But these would secure the open end fro entry of debris.

Bob Wright

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe you could fit it in a knife or multitool's belt pouch?

15. PastorDoug

PastorDoug New Member

I use a Safariland mag pouch. Horizontal along the belt and if someone notices they think it's a phone or knife.

16. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I carry an extra mag but really you and
    Me are really in huge , big doo doo if ya gotta use even five rounds to save our sorry butts! REALLY!!! Lol

17. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

Always safer in the front pocket.? But its better if you get a mag case for it in time.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I use a Desantis Tuck This II IWB holster for my G20C. Adjustable for cant and can be used pretty much anywhere on your waist and has a spare mag pouch.