carrying permit

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Subcomp9, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Subcomp9

Subcomp9 New Member

Did I have to buy a CC permit if I carry my pistol on my hip with no shirt cover anyway

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

What state do you live in? I believe AS doesn't require a permit for OC. Most states require a permit either way you go. My state of Indiana requires a handgun permit to carry, they leave it up to the carrier to decide to open carry or conceal.

Edit: That was supposed to be AZ, Damn auto correct

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

3. Subcomp9

Subcomp9 New Member

I live in GA and have a CC permit but don't really conceal it. Just wondering of I wasted money

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'm not sure about GA laws. Does your permit say its a ccw permit? Mine says handgun permit which means open or concealed carry.

5. Subcomp9

Subcomp9 New Member

Thanks and mine says Georgia weapons carry license

6. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Check with your local and State Police or even The State Attorney. I live in Florida and NOBODY other than Law Enforcement or professionals like Armored Car Drivers, SOME Security Guards etc. can open carry.

You can be charged with "Brandishing a Gun" in Florida if it is being carried concealed but some of it shows for a split second. If you are carrying IWB and bend over to tie your shoe you can be charged if the grip sticks out a hair.

When in doubt check with your local State Attorney and document the conversation.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thats nuts, I just walked in a gas station in ky just across the river from my house. I was open carrying and walked right past a town cop, he smiled tipped his hat and said, "Have a good day sir"

8. Subcomp9

Subcomp9 New Member

Damn that's crazy as hell cops in GA don't really make to much commotion about it

9. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have seen people throughout GA open carry with no issues from any police. I have a weapons permit for GA, NJ, and NY and the laws are very different in all 3 states. Being that I am no longer a resident on NJ, or NY and usually only go there once a year. I always check with the local PD before carrying in those 2 states. Because within the past 10 years the concealed carry laws have drastically changed.

10. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Originally Posted by KeysKelly

Check with your local and State Police or even The State Attorney. I live in Florida and NOBODY other than Law Enforcement or professionals like Armored Car Drivers, SOME Security Guards etc. can open carry.

You can be charged with "Brandishing a Gun" in Florida if it is being carried concealed but some of it shows for a split second. If you are carrying IWB and bend over to tie your shoe you can be charged if the grip sticks out a hair.

When in doubt check with your local State Attorney and document the conversation.

More reason to check with each individual state and their proper authorities. If you walked in a gas station in Florida open carrying and an officer was there you would be arrested. Do it in a state like California, Massachusetts or New Jersey and you'd probably spend a few years in jail. Every state is different and some cities, towns and counties have different laws that are stricter than the state law. I own property in Upstate New York and also right on Central Park in Manhattan. You might get the police to not pay much attention to you open carrying in rural Upstate New York but walk across Central Park open carrying and see how fast you are looking at the business end of many guns and badges.

Nobody has ever gone to jail for asking a question about gun laws but many have gone to jail fro breaking gun laws.

11. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

If you carry outside of your home, vehicle, or place of business in Georgia then you definitely need to have your Georgia Weapons Carry License. The choice of whether you carry openly or concealed is up to you.

The name of the permit was changed a year ago to now include knives, i.e., weapons. It used to be the Georgia Firearms License.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. Subcomp9

Subcomp9 New Member

Thanks bud

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Who'd thunk that MI would have better 2A rights than FL?