Carrying in all states

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by hipoint380, May 4, 2014.

1. hipoint380

hipoint380 New Member

If everyone disobeys a law what could they do? Put us all in jail.

Why isent there a notional move movement to just have all gun owners carry concealed even if the law says no.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The government would make examples of some carriers and scare off the others. This is a common practice.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Because "Everyone" would get together and say "Yeah, let's DO IT!", and then, most people would go home and not do it.

4. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Most people aren't truly willing to sacrifice themselves for their cause, whether it's their life or just some time in jail. They say they would over beers, but when the time comes they back down.

5. hipoint380

hipoint380 New Member

Unfortunate that people in a community have no back bones. I'm not one of them. When the S hits the fan snerio. I guess most of us will be alone while the others are scared S-less.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There have been movements to change laws in each state. The reason there has not been a great push for nationwide disobedience on this issue, is partly because of the moves forward in many states. First step is to try to change things using the system that is in place in your state.

Where do you live? There may be a group in your state that is already working on legislative changes.

There are also a couple of states who have taken severe backward steps in in acting gun control that required registration of guns or magazines. The laws were so poorly thought out that they will turn citizens into criminals. Those states do have people who are refusing to comply. This will result in arrests and appeals that will end up having to be reviews in higher courts with regard to the constitution. It will be a long and expensive process.

The fact that carry, whether open or concealed, is regulated on a state level, also makes a national movement less likely. States are allowed to make their own rules on the process, and the how, where, etc. that carry will be done in their state.

A national right to carry would be great. A national permit could suck, because it gives a bit too much power to the central govt to place policies for national denial of permits on situational basis.

If you feel your rights based on the constitution are being infringed within your state, you can consider becoming an activist. This can be done by getting involved in the current govt process of changing laws. You can become a demonstrator. You can ignore the law and be prepared to fight it through the court, while you do some jail time, lose your ability to own a gun at all, and pay lawyers to fight the case to the top for a decade or so. You already asked the question, "what can they do?" Check your state laws and find out what will happen if you are caught in violation of the law. Will you do time? Will you lose your right to own a gun? Will it be a misdemeanor with a fine only?

You can always try to find a lawyer in your state who may be involved in firearms cases.

Just some things you can consider.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  7. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Because most people are law abiding citizens and they don't want to break the law. I am sure there are lots of other laws that people don't like why not refuse to abide by them as well.

8. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's wonderful that you are a mind reader and know what people will, or won't do in a given situation.:rolleyes:

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Sadly, HiPoint is right to a large extent.

In the context of this thread, the S will hit the whirligig when law enforcement decides to crack down on people carrying in situations where the law does not allow it. They won't try to search every person in a 10 block area around one person found carrying. They'll just take that person.

If 10 other people who are carrying in the immediate area interfere in the arrest, then the whirligig will start slinging smelly stuff everywhere. But, what HiPoint is saying is that it's much more likely that the other carriers in the area will NOT take action. In that case, the one being arrested will feel very alone and the rest will be scared S-less.

11. Axxe55

fortunately i don't allow others to make decisions for me that i am quite capable of making for myself. nor do i allow others to dictate my actions.

just as i don't make decisions or dictate the actions of others. what a group decides to do or not do is of little concern to me. i have found support to be lacking in the past when i needed it, and i suspect that if needed in the future it will be lacking as well. this why i have learned a long time ago to be able to depend on myself to get done what needs to be done.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That's probably the best assumption to make.

What I don't get is why this issue isn't like driver's liscences. Fine, the state controls it, but it's also understood that your DL is good in all 50 states.

13. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes he also thought it was OK to have slaves. I doint make my judgments on the views of someone that died a few hundred years ago. As for getting people to agree to do something, and then do it are two different things. Who decides what laws are unjust ? what one person would see as unjust another could see it as just. Can you see how such a blanket statement could cause problems.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

A long time ago I worked on a ranch in the Central Valley of California. I worked in the shop repairing equipment. Everyone in the shop complained about the low wages so we all got together to ask the owner for a raise. I was elected to be spokesman for the group. I talked to the boss and after being stonewalled for a month, he offered us a $.05 cent per hour raise. (we were getting $1.35 pr. hr )
    I took this as an insult and told him we would all walk. I went back and told the guys what happened and guess who was the only guy to walk away from this cheapskate. Everyone else scattered like cockroaches when you turn the lights on.
    I led but no one followed. NEVER again. I will take care of me and mine.

15. Axxe55

thank you for making my point Widowmaker. very similiar to the experiance i had as well. i learned my lesson fully, who i can depend on when things get a little tough and sticky.

16. hipoint380

hipoint380 New Member

I just think if people in nj are not going to follow the 10rd mag law that others need to do other things like that for what ever cause you feel is right and just.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jump right there be a test case. For maximum effect i suggest you open carry in NJ, NY or MA.

18. Axxe55

as Alsagr suggests, feel free to test it out and then let us know how it turns out.

19. CJx

CJx New Member

I wonder what would happen if someone carried without a CWL in a carry permit state, and took the case to supreme court with the second amendment saying that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed?

20. Axxe55

seriously? unless you have unlimited funds for some very good lawyers and the time to keep pushing it through the courts, i suspect you are going to be a casualty of the justice system and lose all your gun rights for breaking the law.

enjoy!