Carrying at friend's homes

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by IvanKaz, Aug 5, 2013.

1. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

My family and I went to a friend's house for a visit. I decided to not bring my handgun with me because I felt they would not want to have a gun in their home. I could have easily brought my gun with me and they would have never detected it. So my question to the forum is, what would you have done? Would you have just brought the gun with you? I never asked them so I'm not even positive they would have objected. I would feel awkward even bringing up the topic to them in the first place. I just assumed since they have 2 small children in their home, they would be uncomfortable with it. I know they don't object to firearms since he was my reference for my permit application.

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Just my opinion: If they were friends, I'd carry and I'd let them know I was carrying. There's no reason for someone to be uncomfortable with a concealed carry due to small children. If you are carrying properly, the kids don't have to know a thing. And the gun is there for defensive use that would become a real benefit in case of a home invasion, etc. If they are uncomfortable anyway, then you need to decide whether to proceed unarmed or not.

There is no right/wrong decision here. You need to decide based on your overall situation, your ethics/morals/ability/experience/relationship/... Don't let any opinionated person here (including, maybe especially, me) decide for you. But don't let your assumption about your friends feelings decide either. Communication is a life skill whose importance cannot possibly be overstated. Talk to your friend. Then decide.

3. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Just like Balota said "If it is carried properly" then there shouldn't be a problem. No one is going to grab the firearm from you. As long as you don't decide to leave the firearm for the kids to play with.;). I myself carry everywhere I can!!

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I carry into friends homes all the time. I never tell anyone about it. Concealed is concealed.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I respect my friends wishes the same way I respect local businesses. If they don't want me to carry, then don't expect to see my shadow darken their doorstep.

Much easier with friends. They all think like me. Birds of a feather and all that.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I carry everywhere that is legal unless I am actually asked not to. Come to think of it...I have never been asked not to. All of my friends know that I carry. Some of them shoot with me.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

First, these are my friends. Second, see above. Third, my life isn't

neatly compartmentalized into simple acts. After my friend visit,

I'll be going somewhere else, and probably somewhere after that.

Now, if, for instance, I'm going to court, the post office, and the airport,

all in one day, I leave my gun home, on the off chance I won't

be assaulted, by machine-gun toting terrorists on the road,

in the very narrow

time window I'm disarmed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. AR10

AR10 New Member

I carry 24/7. If I walk into a bank, I leave my Gun in my vehicle, and replace it again on my person, when I return. I carry at the store, mall, walmart, home depot, everywhere I go. Follow your local laws, and don't give it a second thought.

When using their restroom, don't forget to pick up your gun and put it back in concealment.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

I even carry in banks.

10. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

If they are a friend, then they know I carry.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I carry.

My Friends and Family know I do, since it's open at home (but concealed when out).
    Never had a un-invite or any mention of not carrying.

But then again, My Friends and Family are like minded (or least tolerant like all conservatives are).

We have one greenie, liberal family member, but no one likes them anymore. they seldom get invited or show up.

In fact she unfriended my wife because she posted a pro-gun meme

12. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I was taught that if you carry concealed that you do not tell ANYONE that you carry.
    Even if its your family or close friends.
    I'm not telling you to lie.
    I'm just saying that unless I'm asked I wouldn't bring it up. It's my business, not theirs. I don't disclose to family and friends which color underwear I'm wearing. Why would I tell them that I'm carrying?
    Do you ask permission to bring a pocket knife into their home? No.

I understand you want to be honest and upfront, but I wouldn't consider it "disrespectful" to carry concealed without asking.
    If you're responsible enough to carry a firearm, you're responsible enough to carry it anywhere. Why would it matter if children are there?
    They will never see it. It should never be branded. I don't see why it would be a problem and I wouldn't mention it.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some people want to respect other people's property. and when you're in someone else's home, thier wishes or desires and yes, their rights as a property owner, trump your right to carry. maybe it's not just about responibility but about respecting the rights and wishes of others.

IMO, if it were a casual acquaintenance that i was in their home maybe once a year at most, i might not even mention it. but a close friend that i was in their home on a fairly regular basis, i think a casual discussion about concealed carry might be in order. could mean the difference in losing a long time friend.

i advocate concealed carry, open carry and any LAC carrying a firearm to the fullest. i think that the more LAC's that carried would help deter criminal acts of violence. but never at the expense of the property owner. the rights of a property owner trump those of your right to carry on their property.

14. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

OP, best thing to do is have the convo with your friend.

My opinion is to always resect a property owner, as expect visitors to respect me/my property..

If can not respect others and there property, you've NO logical reason to expect respect for you and your property. It's ridiculously self centered to think its ok for you to walk around disrespecting others constitutional rights then to get pissy when your rights are disrespected..

Simple, treat others as you expect to be treated, with respect.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't tell my friends or anyone else about anything else that might be on my person...I don't see where a gun is any different. Would you tell thme how much change you had in your pocket? The gun is no more a threat to them than that pocket change.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It's their home, and you were a better person than most to respect that. I always ask.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is good that you would respect the wishes of your friends while in their castle.
    It is also good that you can visit somewhere that you feel safe enough to not have to carry.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

IMHO you should never feel the need to ask permission to carry concealed--keep it concealed ;)

19. Donn

Donn Active Member

+1. What they don't know won't hurt them.

20. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

Many of you have come up with good reasons to carry and not carry. It seems there is not a simple yes or no answer.What I'm kind of getting out of this discussion is to talk to them and find out their feelings about carrying in their home and then if they don't object, carry and don't tell them unless asked.
    BTW, I don't feel uncomfortable carrying around anyone, children or otherwise. Some people might not necessarily agree with me and freak out if it became known that I'm carrying, especially around their children. (Although I wouldn't think twice about carrying around them if we were meeting at a public place.)