Carrying 3" over 2" Barrel

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by travis229, Jan 13, 2019.

1. 3"

2. 2"

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. travis229

travis229 New Member

Hello! I am about to purchase my first revolver for CCW. I am set on a Kimber K6s, I just cannot decide if i want the 2" or 3" barrel. I normally carry a P938. I know the extra length will help with accuracy and handling, but will a 3" barrel be noticeably harder to conceal or about the same? Does anyone have any revolver "pro tips"? Thanks in advance!

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

sadly, that is huge misconception about the barrel length and accuracy. especially when you are only talking about one inch in difference. now where accuracy does come into play with shorter barrels is the sight radius, and being able to get a proper sight picture.

I saw a video several years ago of man doing drills with two different revolvers, same caliber, using the same cartridges in both, with one revolver having a 2" barrel, and the other having a 6" barrel. he was shooting at distances up to 75 yards, and he hit all his targets accurately at all distances with both revolvers, dispelling the myth that shorter barreled revolvers were less accurate than longer barreled revolvers.

being able to properly conceal comes down to choices in holsters and your clothing, and in all reality, I doubt an inch in difference will be a problem in being able to conceal. hell, I can easily conceal a full sized 1911, and I'm a fairly average sized guy.

also I would add, in conceal carry pistol, just how much accuracy is really needed? seriously, this would be used in an up close and personal SD encounter. accuracy IMO takes a back seat to knowing my pistol and ammo are reliable 110% of the time for such situations. YMMV, but that would be my top priority, not accuracy.

Wambli, boatme98, SGWGunsmith and 2 others like this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

A Dallas stated the difference is Nil! Ballistically, Accuracy, Sight Radius and all. Boils down to personal preference. :) For me I would choose the 2 " for CCW.

Wambli, travis229 and Dallas53 like this.
  4. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

As my wife and myself both own revolvers we often carry, I will say that 2" barrel is more concealable than a 3 or 4 inch. Having said that, I also have a 4" barrel revolver to compare OUR accuracy with at 3, 7, and 10 yards. Both revolvers are RIA revolvers.

At 3 yards, both 4 and 2 are equal. At 7 yards the same. But at 10 yards, I do better with my 4 inch. However, my wife with her 2 inch does same or better than me.

For fast deployment of a revolver in a SD situation, at SD close range, I will take the 2 inch barrel any day of the week nowadays. In fact, I am about to order another RIA in 2 inch for myself. Hope this may help you a bit.

travis229 and Dallas53 like this.
  5. travis229

travis229 New Member

Awesome Thanks for the quick replies! It makes alot of sense now, I want it to be a dedicated CCW and not try to bridge the gap between a home defense gun or range toy. The 2" will better suit the job and I can get a fun 4"-6" range revolver later haha. Cheers!

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Even better, 6 inch.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep! My 4" is one of many HD weapons I have. But, it is more of a range gun toy for me personally.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I carry a 2" 1974 Colt Cobra. You'd be surprised at the accuracy. You can buy 38 special or 357 specifically made for short barrels. To me, I carried an SP101 for a while, a 357 is a handful in a snubby. 38+P is a better choice.

travis229 and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

3" is my personal favorite. It carries well.

I have Ruger LCRX in both 2" and 3". 38 Special, plus the SP101 in 2" 3" and 4". The shorter ones are just as accurate as the longer ones, but the longer ones are easier to shoot well than the shorter ones.

One thing to note, unless you are careful with cartridge selection, you get more muzzle flash and slower velocity with the 2" barrel. You need to load for, or buy cartridges made for snubbies.

As to the RIA revolvers, (and semi autos) I had the M200 and M206 revolvers and the 1911 GI in both full size and compact size. I traded them for store credit to help fund the Rugers. I like the Rugers better mind you, but I miss the RIA handguns. They were good ones.

SGWGunsmith and Dallas53 like this.
  10. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Tote, Smith & Wesson 36 round butt 3" ,,,,,,, stoked Silvertip 38+P

Ingramite, SGWGunsmith and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference in concealment. Concealment is about the right clothes, the right holster and the right belt. I carry a big old bulky 1911 with no problems so the difference in 1" on the barrel of a small frame revolver should not be an issue.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. sheepdawg

A 1911 would have my pants down around my socks in seconds. All gut and no rear.:rolleyes:

13. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Winter is on the downhill side of the calendar here, but I'll still carry the 2½ S&W until cargo shorts come into fashion this spring:

[​IMG]

Daoust_Nat, boatme98 and jackrich3 like this.
  14. glockman55

glockman55 Well-Known Member

I like 3".. Top my GP100, 3" in .44 spl.. but I have an Astra 44 mag in 2.75" bottom that is nice to carry.. Stubbys.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    travis229, boatme98 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  15. Chainfire

That is why you have to have a good belt. I carry a bit of a tool shed in front too, but I have enough hip bone to catch the belt. You just can't do it with a Walmart dress belt. Do it right and you can forget it is there until it is needed.

Dallas53 and sheepdawg like this.
  16. sheepdawg

I have two Bullhide gunbelts, one of the better names, I carry in DeSantis or Galco IWB holsters I just don't have an azz. Anything heavier than my CZ82 and people will see my shortcomings.

At 16oz. unloaded the Cobra is almost forgettable when carried. Nothing rubbing on the gut overhang either. A Shield I carry in the winter almost as good.

Dallas53 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  17. SGWGunsmith

That .44 Special has to breath a lot of fire. Very nice! Will light-up the night.

glockman55 likes this.
  18. SGWGunsmith

One thing for sure..........it is indeed a misconception, but it seems to go on and on. I did a bunch of shooting Colt Detective Specials and Smith and Wesson M36 Chiefs Specials when I had my shop down in southeastern Wisconsin.
    My Ransom Rest proved quite a few wrong with their feelings that short barrels were useless.
    For one thing, these short barrel revolvers are normally back-ups, or used these days by conceal carry folks if they become threatened, "up close and personal". My testing back then was exclusively with .38 Special ammunition, and even some of the "Super Vel" ammunition Lee Juras developed during that time period. And, really, these ain't 'target revolvers', so for the distance they'll be needed, they fit the bill perfectly.

Ingramite and Dallas53 like this.
  19. Chainfire

Hey! Whatever works for you.

Daoust_Nat likes this.
  20. Chainfire

Here is a chance for you to see my cute butt. ;) And Yea, I got green paint on my belt, so sue me!

The King Tuk carries a big gun very comfortably. Of course the 1911 is slim and conceals well. DSCN6733.JPG

boatme98 and Dallas53 like this.