carry with round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by potentialglock, Nov 4, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I carry with a round in the chamber for various reasons. But unfortunately I made a stupid mistake and took my gun off and unloaded it in my kitchen because id been wearing it for 12 hours and it was just getting uncomfortable. Now I'm getting flak from my family because they find it "unsafe"

2. potentialglock

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I think I just answered this question in another thread...

4. Balota

Quote:
    Originally Posted by potentialglock
    Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"
    :End Quote

I may get kicked out of the dad's union for saying this, but dad's wrong on this one. In my opinion, carrying one in the tube is the only sensible way to carry. If you need to use the gun, you will barely have time to draw and fire, much less draw, rack the round, then fire. A gun is a dangerous tool. It's supposed to be dangerous. It's also a tool that can be carried safely by a careful person. The person is what makes the gun safe, not the round that is or is not in the tube.

I carry an XDm which has no manual safety. The gun has a round in the chamber and the striker is set. My safety is between my ears and the lever for the safety is my trigger finger which stays OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the gun is on target. Rigid discipline of the trigger finger is essential no matter what kind of gun you are carrying.

5. Balota

Just curious, were they objecting to you carrying with one in the chamber, or were they objecting because you were handling your gun in the kitchen (possibly with them present)?

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

When I first started carrying I did not carry with one in the chamber. When me and ZG talked with our chiropractor and he said that he carried with one in the chamber. Since then I have been carrying +1 and very careful holstering and unholstering.

7. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

I always carry condition 1

8. potentialglock

To one in the chamber. They know I carry and have no real issue with guns

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They need a better understanding of guns and their readiness conditions, safeties and philosophy of use for defensive carry.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

What are the two most worthless things in the world????:confused:
    Answer: An unloaded gun and a dull knife!:D
    Nuff said!;)
    We ALL need to educate others to these facts!

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Carrying concealed is carrying concealed. If you took it out in front of them or anyone, unless your life is on the line, then you broke one of the rules of carrying concealed. Im just sayin'.

Keep it loaded with one in the chamber and put it on or off in private and wah-lah, no one will have a problem.

12. Balota

In that case, refer to my previous response :)

13. phildenton

phildenton New Member

If youre in your own house then its thier problem not yours... however, i dont take my gun off/out until its for the day and in my bedroom.

14. Balota

Setting it on the dining room table with family members present is probably a valid reason for them to complain about that. I realize that's not what they were objecting to, but they might have had a valid beef on that point.

Taking it out to clean it, unload it before locking up, etc. should be done in a private place away from others simply as a matter of safety.

15. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I get what you're saying, but the way I read it was that he was taking his gun outta the holster for the evening. Eventually the gun has to come off your hip.

I always carry with one in the pipe and the hammer to the rear.

16. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Thats why they invented closed doors :D

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Carrying an empty gun will get you hurt. You should leave the gun at home and carry a cell phone. That way you can call the police and tell them who shot you.:(

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Guns are always loaded especially when you know they are empty. People are routinely injured and killed by unloaded guns.

You need to educate your family more. Whether its got a round in the chamber or not is irrelevent to safety. Its never getting pointed at anyone that isnt wanting to be shot so what difference does it make where the bullets are??

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think you need to educate your family UNLESS you did it in a way even a child knew WAS unsafe :confused:

20. potentialglock

That's a big negative. I always follow safety protocol. My dad just thinks that one bad shake will make the round in the chamber go off, or the trigger will get snagged, etc. Etc.