Carry with a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Thelt, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I typically carry my Kel Tec P32 without a round in the chamber. With no safety I feel better this way. It would be a distinct disadvantage should I need to fire in a hurry. Any thoughts from the more seasoned concealed carry guys?

2. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Do you carry in a holster? If so, don't stick your finger on the trigger unless you mean to and you'll be just fine... I carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber, though, it does have a safety. If I did carry a DOA pistol w/o a safety I would still carry with one in the chamber. Wasting too much precious time trying to chamber a round when you actually need it IMHO.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

1. This thread has been done to death.

2. Don't carry if you are not prepared to protect yourself at a moments notice.

3. What do your state laws have to say about the issue?

4. While I like the Kel-Tec P32, I know that it will not shoot itself.

5. No safety, and the handy pocket clip does not make it unsafe.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Go out and buy a CCW you're not afraid of. [​IMG]

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That's kinda what I was trying to say....in a 'round about way. :cool:

At my favorite gun shop, the owner carries a P32 with the pocket clip. I've never seen him limping.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It's funny, when I posted this same question about a Glock, it ended up garnering about 100 replies. But the bottom line was this advice: You must feel comfortable with the weapon you have, and the condition in which you carry it. Carry it the same way ALL the time. The biggest safety is your consistent handling of the weapon in the same, safe way each time you handle it.

Both of my guns are DAO without a safety and one doesn't even have that "safe" trigger thingy. I feel perfectly safe with one in the chamber. But there are others who have trained very consistently to rack the slide every time they draw.

My Kahr is a little too finicky for the slingshot procedure to load a round, and the Glock feels fine with one in the chamber, so that's how I carry.

7. Thelt

Thelt New Member

It is not about the gun. I am not sure I would be comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber even if it had a manual safety. I used to have a snub nosed 38 revolver. I would carry it with only 4 rounds so I could let it rest on an empty.

With my Kel Tec I have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and I also have the clip so I sometimes carry it inside my waistband. I guess I am just looking to see if others on here carry with one chambered.....

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The safety is the double action trigger. I seriously doubt you are accidentally going to fire that weapon, if you do you have no business being around any weapon at all. You aren't carrying a glock with a light trigger and no safety or a 1911 cocked and unlocked. It was designed to be slim and easily concealed and safe enough to carry chambered.

I have always and will always carry with one in the chamber BUT when I draw my weapon my finger doesn't instantly go on the trigger. Keep your finger out of the guard until your ready to fire and you'll be fine. IF I ever have to pull my weapon there won't be time to chamber a round, the S has already HTF and I need action.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have a word for people that don't carry with a live round in the pipe-that word is victim. Seriously, there's NO way you're going to have a negligent discharge with that long heavy double action only trigger that your choice of firearm features.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Chris, good solid advice!

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

The fears expressed are of personal self control, not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! OR, take that weapon out of your pocket!

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, the best advice here. :)

Personal carry comes with personal responsibility and self control, knowing your weapon like your wive's pleasure zones, and that there are no "do overs" after a life-threatening situation requires you to draw it.

It is over with.

It's final.

Are you confidant? Still standing? Uninjured?

If so, you are the surviving winner! And that......is what this it is all about.

Thanks Cane. :)

Jack

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Late on this one, but I carry both my 1991A1 and Taurus 24/7 Pro with a round in the pipe and safety on. There is a good 3 second delay in drawing your weapon and racking the slide to engage a round. If your encounter involves another armed (with a gun) BG, you're at a disadvantage; especially if they have their weapon drawn.

I take carrying a weapon very seriously and I am confident every other member who carries does as well. I run scenarios in my head all the time and there are situations I have thought of that I don't ever want to find myself in, but am prepared mentally to deal with them if it happens.

Remember, once the bullet leaves the muzzle of your gun, there are no do overs.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That heartbeat required to rack a round to battery may well be your last.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It doesn't even have to be a gun duner.

There was a defense video, I am pretty sure it was a police/FBI training video that showed an officer with a holstered weapon facing two bad guys.

One of the bad guys had a pistol in his waistband and the other had a switchblade knife out and in his hand.

The distance was like 10 feet, 12 feet, something like that.

Before the officer could pull his weapon to shoot the guy with the gun, the guy with the knife had already crossed the distance and mock stabbed the officer.

My thought is this: If you need a weapon in a hurry, you need it now and you need to get it smoking. Taking an additional 2 or 3 seconds to rack a slide is just another 2 or 3 second advantage for the other guy.

Now, if that makes you feel better to carry that way, at least you have a weapon, so that is better than not.

However. Condition 1 is the only way to carry in my opinion.

JD

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Saw something similar on "Best Defence", I believe they were at either Gunsite or Thunder Ranch. So much for bringing a knife to a gun fight!!

And exactly what my thoughts were when writing my response, situations that make your hair stand!! :eek:

I hate posting YouTube vids, especially when I don't know the source well; but this one has some good tips for pocket carry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvG2RQLE1k]YouTube - Pocket Carry[/ame]

16. WDB

WDB New Member

Carry like your expecting to need it in a milisecond. If you aren't right with that get more training until you are right with that. Anything less might be an advantage to the threat your facing.

Train, then practice, practice and more practice. It takes time but if you don't at some point just might take the time/life you would of had.

17. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

I cannot imagine a situation where I would lawfully carry a firearm for protection but not have a round in the chamber.

18. talontraininggroup

talontraininggroup New Member

Please carry loaded.

After teaching cops for over 17 years, please, please, carry a round in the chamber. As was said before, the only way you will accidentally pull that long trigger, is if you put your finger in the trigger guard and pull the trigger. After conducting scenario based training for years with very well trained people, I will tell you, there is no time for you to chamber a round. That is a marginal round in the first place and in a defensive situation, surprise and a head start are what you need. If you take the time to chamber a round, you are shot if he intends to do you harm. If he didn't, now he may. If you have time to approach a bad guy doing harm to another, you may give yourself away by making noise. A small pocket pistol just doesn't have the same effect as a shotgun racking. :)

Get a pocket holster, load the pistol and carry that way. Just don't carry other items in the same pocket with a pocket gun. Good way to scratch your pistol and maybe snag the trigger. Small chance, but, it is there. I posted some videos on Youtube if you want to see a related video. Search talontraininggroup and look at anything tagged Ruger LCP or similar. There is a distraction drill on one of them.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Never understood why you would not carry with a round in the chamber.

What are you going to do when TSHTF? Ask the perp Oh please wait while I draw and load my weapon.

No you need to deploy and use said weapon in a manner in which means life or death.

Having an unloaded gun in a gun fight is just as good as having a rock. You better throw it at him and run away flailing your arms and screaming like a 12 year old girl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.