Carry weapon

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ShagNasty1001, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Deciding on which to use as a carry weapon when I get it. Looking at the beretta 92 compact in a .40, sig P250 in a .45, glock 20 in the 10mm, or colt 1911 new agent .45

2. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Buy a good holster and most important a good belt capable of
    supporting a loaded firearm.

3. Glock27SC

Glock27SC New Member

Man the Glock 27 or 30 is the best you can have I kind of forget that either one of them be there I wear a galco inside for the 27 and a crossbreed supertuck for the 30

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you have only 1 pair of shoes?

Just like you have different shoes for different occasions, so should your carry options.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

That's a good way to put it, but I can only afford 1 right now, but will for sure be getting a multitude

6. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

For all day , everyday I carry a bodyguard 380. I carried a Model 60 38 for several decades and it is still a good weapon but the 380 is quicker to reload and lighter!

Not the weapon I would chose for a gun fight but lets face it I have not had a need to pull it in over 25 years, and I hope this continues to be the case.

If I was concerned about where I was going and felt I needed more I love my S&W 66-1 ( looks great in my old duty rig ) but I feel the reload time on a 357revolver is not good for a gun fight so I would probably carry a 1911A with two spare mags. I keep it holstered like that ready to be put on. And it is easy to conceal but to heavy for all day the way I work. It would be in the way and heavy!

If possible I would try to keep myself out of the situation!

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Man the Glock 27 or 30 is the best you can have

I'll disagree with that. Many options other than a glock. Plus they are ugly.

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Depends on where you live and/or visit. If you live in a warm climate, concealment is an issue. If you can wear a jacket without standing out in a crowd then carry the biggest piece you feel comfortable with. In a warm climate something with a short grip (that is, not very tall) is easier to conceal. The barrel length is not a big deal if you use an IWB holster. Examples of a short height: Para Ordnance Warthog, Taurus PT940, CZ 2075 RAMI, or a .38 snubbie, or maybe a Charter Arms Bulldog (a .44 Special with a 2.5" barrel, and a short overall height).

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I found a sig 1911 that looks like it should fit real well with a IWB holster. And I am in the Midwest where our weather is bipolar

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Good choice. Sig Sauer makes good guns.

11. Jay

Jay New Member

Stopping power comes after hitting your target. Hitting your target, comes after becoming proficient with your handgun. Proficiency comes after practice. Practice comes after selecting a handgun that is comfortable in YOUR hands. Just because it's "great" for someone else, doesn't mean it will be "great" for you. Shop for a handgun like you do for shoes.... TRY 'EM ON... handle as many as you can... THEN start a list of possibles. If you can, rent, or shoot one that you're interested in before you buy. Start out with buying a used .22 to develop fundamentals, THEN move up in caliber. Do NOT get wrapped up in the caliber wars. Caliber doesn't count until your bullet hits your point of aim. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45. Remember there is a trade-off with handguns... longer barrel, larger weapon, more weight... translates to less perceived recoil. Small weapon, short barrel, light weight... translates to more perceived recoil.

With the right belt/holster combination, you can carry virtually handgun.

Shopping is good... have fun....

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've handled all the guns in my list but the G20 in a 10mm multiple times and shot them more times than I can count. I am very proficient with them all. My only thing is I'm 5 10 and a slender build so I can't carry a massive gun around without it being known in some way shape or form