Carry Loaded?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Staidan, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Staidan

Staidan New Member

Just curious... Do you carry loaded with round in chamber? Or loaded without clambering? Or mag in side pocket?

Sent from my ridiculously over-priced iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Condition one.
    But I don't suggest it in your case.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

always loaded with one in the chamber.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you are asking these questions I would strongly suggest taking a NRA basic pistol course. You also need a safety course to get a concealed carry permit. Most NRA sponsored ranges require basic pistol unless you have qualified with a pistol in the military or are LEO.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. You should get some good training. I am an IDPA safety officer and competitive shooter. IDPA is supposed to help prepare for a real life self defense scenario. Normal stages start with the gun in the holster loaded with a round in the chamber. That is the safest way. However, you must fully understand safe gun handling before attempting to carry a gun.

The four rules of gun safety are

Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

Finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Know you target and what is behind it.

Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

If these rules are new to you...you are not ready to carry.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

It's SO easy to obtain a CCL :eek:

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I was in my FL LGS and an older fella with CC was complaining that his double stack mag wasn't working properly.
    He had put the cartridges in backwards!
    Be careful out there!

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Loaded and ready at all times! Any other way is out of the question if you are going to carry.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

An unloaded gun is a fancy club or paper weight.

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Note: condition one is a reference to Jeff Cooper and the 1911, only. Not to be carried in condition 0, ever!

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are few things more useless than an unloaded firearm.

Empty fire extinguisher. Condom with staple holes. Screen door in a submarine. Training wheels on a tank.

Agree with the training suggestions.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

unless you plan on using the pistol for a club, it's pretty much useless with out being chambered.

if you are concerned about carrying a chambered gun, then maybe you are in dire need of proper training and or more training to become familiar with carrying loaded. if still concerned after getting more training, then maybe rethinking about carrying in the first place is something you need to do.

carrying an unloaded pistol is more of a liablity than an asset if it's needed and has more potential in being taken away from you and used on you instead.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I watched a video of a grocery store hold up. A citizen decided to intervene. You could see the citizen had obviously pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The gunman turned to him. Luckily the citizen was able to rack the slide and fire. Could have been much worse.

15. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

The guns are/should be loaded all the time! Then there is no doubt if its in your hand its loaded just like there is gas in the car/truck ready to go!
    You never have to ask is this gun loaded or not? The answer is yes of course it is because what the hell good is an empty gun?

16. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Carrying with one in the pipe is the only way to go. As long as you carry in a properly-designed holster that covers the trigger and trigger guard, you have nothing to fear. A gun will not shoot itself.

The "training" one receives for their CCL is bare, basic, hit the target stuff. Go to the NRA site and look for pistol training classes in you area. Then, look for a combat pistol class - something that will give you firsthand experience with drawing your weapon and engaging a steel target. The class should teach you trigger control, combat reloads, drawing and hitting your targets under stress, etc.

A CHL isn't enough. Get training.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If I ever buy a $600 club, it better make coffee for me in the morning, drive me to work, and lock itself around my car's steering wheel while I'm at the office.

If ever the day comes when I carry an unloaded firearm, it will have been a really bad day and something I was lucky to survive, because I will have run out of ammunition.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

If you need to ask... You probably should not be carrying... Not without some training. ;)

Tack

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I always carry in condition 1, with only one exception*. A Goblin is not going to let you rack the slide to defend yourself.

* Jennings J-22. Engaging the safety on a J-22 puts the firing pin in a position where it sticks out into the chamber, and the slide locks. The manual tells you never to carry it with a loaded chamber. For this reason, it is a BUG, or a nightstand gun, and if I ever have need of it, things have fully spiraled out of control beyond my ability to fix them. :eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  20. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Full mag, Loaded chamber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.