Carry Handle vs Red Dot vs Holographic vs ACOG

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Nov 30, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

When it comes to sights, I know very little, so I was wanting to learn some of the pros and cons of each of these sights.

A good sight is one of the last things I need for my AR build. So far, I've been planning on getting a BCM carry handle sight since they're cheap, and simple to use. I also love the look it gives to the rifle. (plus, it's about all my budget allows for at this point. I may change it out for something in the future)

I don't know much about red dot scopes other than they can allow you to get on target faster. Is there much difference in performance between a red dot scope, and a red dot sight like this http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tact...qid=1354309785&sr=1-6&keywords=red+dot+sights ?

Holographic sights are pretty much a mystery to me. How are they different from red dot sights?

As for the ACOG, I know very little about them. How are they different from regular scopes, and why are they so expensive?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

2. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I am a bit older, and I have a hard time with open sights. Can't focus on either, without glasses, can't focus on target with glasses. So I tried a holo sight. I know the young bucks in the military love them. But they were made for older guys. I can shoot 3 inch groups with my holo sight, at 100 yards. Past that I would need a magnifier, or a different sight.

If you are not shooting over 100 yards, a holo sight is something you want to check out.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Like your question- Wish i cud help more=
    I love the EOtech (Holographic) but always wondered about the ACOG myself- for the cost MUST be gud :eek: Military uses them (guess they still do?)
    I'm sure they'll be sum modern servin types around soon to enlighten us. Hell, when i was in the A2 was the only thing to use :eek:

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i'll try my best here goes.

irons are irons are irons. you can pick a carry handle, or a flip up it doesnt really matter. most all of them perform the same. you wont be shooting bullseyes at super long distances unless you have great eyesight, even then it will be tricky. but with practice, human sized targets are easy to hit at 500 yards. also a must to at least know how to use them properly. even if there just a backup.

RDS, im not super positive the differences. ive used an eotech 512, and a bushnell trophy 1x28 scope. to me both seemed to work the same. no zoom, aiming area, and a little adjustable dot.

now the ACOG.. this i know.
    stands for advanced combat optical gunsight. there are different models but the one i'm most familer with is the tac31 i believe.. its the USMC sight. instead of a crosshair you get a chevron for your main aim point. it also has BDC markings for up to 800m. its super clear and crisp.. and the best point.... no batteries required.. ever! the sight is illuminated by the tritium, it absorbs all surrounding light. its amazing how bright it appears with very little light. and very rugged.. i would want no other sight for combat, or SHTF. but in the world of hunting and target shooting. a real scope would probly be more accurate.. but not by much..

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's good to have a carry handle at least as a spare. Make sure you get the milspec height version (like BCM or Colt). Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and other have the shorter commercial height version. I also like the look but then I'm old and carried the M16 in Nam.

(Of course if you have the commercial height front sight instead of F marked FSB then you're screwed.)

The rest of your question depends on your preference not mine. For me, I like an Aimpoint Micro or good clone. Of course then a BUIS makes more sense than a carry handle.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Saved me a comment :D

7. hoovco

hoovco New Member

You can beat the absolute piss out of an ACOG and still have a reliable, accurate scope.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Old vets think alike, Hoss! :D

9. formerCav

formerCav Member

a red dot sight "paints the red dot" (like a laser pointer) on the target.
    a holographic sight (E-otech, Aim point T1, ACOG) is single plane (no parallax) and you only see the red (or green) reticle. You put that on the target and poof. If the rifle should slip on shoulder and you still have the dot on the target, it will HIT. try that with iron sights or a scope.
    People can see where you red dot (laser) is coming from,
    with holographic they can NOT see it, only you can see it in your glass on the sight.
    HTH
    Bob

10. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Don't think so. You've described a laser sight, not a red dot.

Here's a pretty good explanation, although the differences between holographic and red dot become a bit complicated and technical.

http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

Also, the ACOG is not a holographic sight.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Both correct-

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Sorry, please redo this.

Laser pointers are not red dots. Red dot sights don't use lasers. Eotechs do u use lasers.

Eotechs are holographic weapon sights(hws), require batteries.
    Aimpoints are red dots sights (rds) require batteries.
    Acogs are regular scopes with fiberoptic and tritium lighting. No batteries required.

Eotechs and aimpoints do exhibit parallax at extreme ranges, less than 5 yards, I've owned both.

Haven't had the honor of owning an acog, but it is a scope so the will be parallax to some degree, i will say that the few that ive sighted, i didnt like the eyebox, it was very unforgiving.

You have me stumped about rds/hws giving away you position, but it seems to me that no target is gonna see a dot that small beyond 15 yards. And if its at night and they can see your reticle or dot at a distance.....you the shooter will be dead anyways kuz your dot way too bright for night use and you just blinded urself.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Red dots like the Aimpoint use an internal lens that is angled and a LED light to project a reflected red dot image back to your eye while you look through the lenses at your target. To use these you keep both eyes open. Your dominant eye should be looking through the sight abd seeing the target and red dot. Your non-dominant eye should be looking at the target and peripheral field of view. Your brain combines these images so that what you see is a red dot on your target.

A holographic sight that is truly holographic works on the same principle, but uses a laser to project the image of the dot or reticle. The EOTech is one such sight. There are some knock off versions that are really just red dots that use an LED to project a dot or cutout image if a reticle instead if using a laser.

Then there are laser sights that project a laser into a target. A laser is a straight beam of light, while a bullet trajectory is an arc. So a laser can only realistically be on the bullet path at one distance or possibly two distances if it is exactly over the exact center of the bullet path and the wind or other forces do not cause the bullet to drift to one side.

The Trijicon ACOG uses tritium instead of batteries to illuminate the reticle inside the sight. Also the ACOG usually has some level of magnification while the Aimpoint and EOTech are non magnified by themselves. This bit of magnification can make that principle of one eye on dot and one eye on target a bit harder for some people to master for quick shots. Some people have no problem with it. Some prefer the handiness of having some magnification to improve target ID and definition for more precise shots in the field without having to do more manipulation of the weapon, like attaching or flipping a magnifier into place.

Just some info for you on the design differences of the various optical systems out there.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Attached Files:

• 2f.jpg
      2f.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  15. formerCav

formerCav Member

good article thanks for posting that.
    I was trying to differentiate the difference between the laser pointer type vs the reflex / eotech type.
    I've bookmarked that post for future reference.
    Thanks
    Bob.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well dun sir- You learned something- Didn't bitch moan or cry about being corrected ;)

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Fast practical/combat minute of bad guy shooting, Rds and hws are unbeatable. Insanely fast pickup/ transition and both eyes open for wide fov field of view. You get a sight pictue in honestly much less than 1/2 the time it take you to get a sight picture with irons. Just keep both eyes open. Look at the target, put the dot on target (dont focus on the target) and squeeze it off. Its fast fast fast and you focus on the target not front sight post. Not the best for precision shooting even with a magnifier as the dots can be pretty big, but unparalled at combat/prectical shooting.

18. hq357

hq357 New Member

Vjxffhjhhhjjji hhukh

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's what my posts look like when my kitten walks across my keyboard. :D

20. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

The best way to figure out what is best for you is to try different sights. I prefer the holographic sights like EOtech. I tried many different types until I found what I liked the best.