Carry at work

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by sidawony, Oct 9, 2012.

1. sidawony

sidawony New Member

I am a REALTOR in South Florida with a full concelled weapons permit. As a realtor i am an independent contractor with the company. I was informed today that i cannot carry my weapon in any of their offices.

When i signed up, there was no mention of this and there was no waiver that i had to sign.

With all the "new" laws, are they allowed to do this?

Looking for answers,
    Sidawony
    Florida

2. vincent

vincent New Member

How exactly did the topic of guns at work come up? I've worked lots of places and it's never come up...

And yes, an employer can do that, same as a business posting a GFZ sign...

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is their office but what do you tell a client that is carrying? Good way to lose clients. Find another broker to work for. If you have a contract, a policy change is grounds for breaking the contract.

4. sidawony

sidawony New Member

Understand, but i would never tell a client, "if you are carrying, i cannot service you"

5. sidawony

sidawony New Member

Was speaking to another agent who also has a concelled weapons permit and i guess another agent overheard us and said something to the broker

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

Yep it is their right to ban guns on premises. Minnesota (where I live) has a conceal and carry law, but almost every business here "bans gun on premises".

Some mentioned you should find another Realty company to work for/ contract with - would you really feel all that dang "naked" leaving it in the car when you go inside?

Sincerely,

Someone who totally respects your right to conceal and carry, but doesn't understand the need to 24/7

7. redscho

redscho New Member

Perhaps he/she cannot tell which minute out of the 24/7 it might be needed. it.:rolleyes:

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

because the bad guy somehow always manages to strike at what seems to be the worst possible moment. if you only carried 23/6 .. do you really wanna take that chance? :confused:

9. chloeshooter

I wonder how many folks with a similar response smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco, or engage in ANY type of high-risk behavior? (that has a MUCH higher chance of killing you than an armed perp will statistically speaking) OOPS I bet the s&$t is gonna hit the fan now! lol

I am not a carry-er. I don't care if someone else is. I just would never change jobs because of it, IMHO that is taking things a little too far. But like I said, I totally respect and support the right......let's hope you never feel you need to unholster

10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  11. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Non sequitur.

I don't smoke, or chew (yuck) but everyone knowingly puts themselves at risk. However, they are doing so of their own volition and can remove themselves from the risk at any time of their choosing. That is part of carrying, being able to remove yourself from that risky situation. Not carrying removes your ability to do this.

12. chloeshooter

I like the logic you use.

Question: does operating a pink back-hoe put one at risk? :D

13. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

LOL. They made it for the "Digging for a cure" campaign.

But I is a gurl. But don't drive them (I can, just don't)

14. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Every workplace has written policies. Ask to see those policies.

Is the broker the owner of the company? If not, it's not his/her call. If yes, well, verbal policies are also binding.

Do you carry a briefcase (or something similar) with you? Keep it in there. If there is an actual policy, it's all about the wording.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

guys, Look up the meaning of"

CONCEALED
    !

16. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I definitely know the meaning, but since I work for the Military on an installation, CCW permit is useless. :(

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

For those not stuck on fed property.

CONCEALED IS CONCEALED.

18. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Yes, concealed is concealed. Is carrying worth your livelihood? Is it worth your freedom? Is it worth your life? It is a personal decision.

19. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Addendum to my previous post, just because I cannot carry my sidearm, does not mean that I go to work unarmed. ;)