career

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Hlander, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hlander

Hlander New Member

I am 18 about to graduate high school and would like to pursue a career in firearms. Any suggestions?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are you looking to design, sell, repair, refurbish, or manufacture?

Each has their appeal and downfalls.

3. Hlander

Hlander New Member

I would like to do anything dealing with them, I want to pursue something that I need to go to college for. Opening a gun shop or a gunsmith company would be too much of a risk, I also would like to make some decent money. I have been told that the owners of gunsmith businesses and gun shops do not make very much money.

4. Hlander

Hlander New Member

I would like to do anything dealing with them, I want to pursue something that I need to go to college for. Opening a gun shop or a gunsmith company would be too much of a risk, I also would like to make some decent money. I have been told that the owners of gunsmith businesses and gun shops do not make very much money.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To design, means college
    To sell, apply for a job at Wally World or a chain sports store
    To repair, means some college or tech school
    To refurbish, means some college or tech school
    To manufacture, means some college or tech school

To stay on a limited income, start a new gun business now.

6. Hlander

Hlander New Member

What degree would I need to work toward if I would like to refurbish or manufacture? Thanks.

7. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

You are young and life is going to throw a bunch of different things in your path so keep your options open. I would suggest a degree in Business Administration. While you are in school pursue your passion for firearms by working part-time in a sporting goods store, gunshop or for a gunsmith. Learn the market place, as much as you can about firearms AND business. After you get your degree you can decide your career path, the business degree will serve you well IF you decide firearms is a better hobby than career.
    Good luck!

8. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Very good advice.

9. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

+1 on the last few posts.
    It happens that I did get a degree in business and ending up being, a cop, a paramedic, a technology/network engineer, restaurant owner and finally a smith (although I have been taking apart and repairing firearms since I was 16 or so - now its full time). Started as a one man band and grew the business over time. You won't get rich doing this, but you can make a decent living and if you like working with your hands and making something out of nothing more than some blocks of metal, you will find it professionally and personally rewarding. Once you start hiring staff your income goes up along with your blood pressure. Good luck. If a trade school isn't feasible, you can "learn by doing". I always look for Junkers at the gun shows and give them to the newbies and apprentices to learn on. If they screw up, it goes in the scrap pile and I'm out 20 bucks. There's no substitution for hands on learning. I'm the guy at the gun show who buys the bulging barreled beat up, locked up and rusted 1911 for 20 bucks and people point at me an laugh. I smile politely and wish them a happy day. Never loved going to work each morning ( its a 90 second walk from my house to my shop ) but I love everything about it. And the added bonus is I have my own private range(s) - cant beat the whole package. Good luck. Hope this helps.

10. Hlander

Hlander New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have been told time and time again not to pursue a career that is already your hobby because there is a chance you will end up hating it. Business was actually my second option, I will most likely pursue that instead of a career completely based around firearms. You all were very helpful.