Career choices?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

What did you pick what you did and why? I'm stuck between majors at the moment but am really leaning towards meteorology over energy management

2. rurak

rurak New Member

I'm an electrician. You can never go wrong with a trade.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was a heavy equipment operator at a rock quarry, operated Euclid haul trucks, backhoes, forklifts, skidloaders, big wheel loaders etc. Last big loader I operated was a Komatsu WA-500. I kept getting laid off in the winter so I decided to get my CDL because there were boocoo ads for cdl drivers in the help wanted section in the local paper.

Been behind the wheel since 08, minus about a year and a half in the middle where I worked at another rock quarry operating more giant earth moving and rock processing equipment.

Recently had an opportunity to work for the Indiana dept of corrections at a medium security prison near me but I think Im gonna pass on that, cant take a $200 pay cut on every weeks check. My buddy works there and averages 500 a week, right now I average 700 a week driving, plus I take my rig home which saves me from driving 50 miles a day.

4. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I've gone through three different careers post-college. One due to a shift and downsizing in the industry. One I made the choice to switch to make more money for the family. But enough about me :)

As for your decision:
    1) you need to have an interest in actually doing something possibly for the rest of your life, but at least think about doing it for the next 7-10 years. Do both stand out?
    2) which career is more likely to get you a job when you get out?
    2a) can you do internships in either to get experience and contacts for your resume, that will put you ahead in possibly getting a job at graduation?
    3) which career has the most long-term growth or at least stability, again for the next 7-10 years?
    4) are you ready to likely pay your dues regardless of which career you choose, meaning you may not get out making a ton of money or living where you want to right away?
    5) which career has the most room to move (location), provide personal growth, or advancement opportunities (whichever of these may be important to you)?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Ultimately, if you love what you do, the rest doesn't mean as much so long as you can make a living.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Which ever you choose balance income to cost. Do not attend an expensive college and borrow school loans for a four year degree in education. Public Schools do not pay wages that equal large investments.
    What does the 20 year projections on your choices look like. What is the health of and returns of potential companies you are looking at working for. Attend some seminars on potential fields you are interested in.
    This is a life's investment requiring a large financial out lay and 4 years of your life. ;)

6. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Become a RN......Starting pay is very good. and male RNs are in high demand, no problem finding a job.

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

Well, since college graduation in 1994 I've been an insurance claims adjuster. Then a mortgage loan originator. Then an assistant bank manager. Then a bank branch sales manager. Then a software installer/trainer for a banking software company. Then an operations manager for a document imaging company owned by a mortgage company. Then, and currently, an operations manager of a document imaging company that is privately owned. I have no real career. I am a free agent to the highest bidder. The last 3 jobs I've had all lasted 5 years each, then, the owner sells out and I'm looking for something else. It's about to happen again. I'm so tired of this. The thing is, I don't know what I want to do really. I've got kids, dogs, cars, house, and wife. I'm not 20 anymore. My pay is just high enough it doesn't grow on trees. I'm getting old. Starting new every 5 years is getting scary. I wish I had a trade or a true career, like optometry. Not knowing in college has made my work career a jumbled line. My advice, figure something out early and apply yourself.

8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

In this part of Ohio too. My ex used to run a psyche unit and was always looking for male nurses.

Of course in a regular hospital setting you have all the blood and guts, and needles....eeeek

9. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

This is a topic that I spend my professional day discussing as I am a college admissions representative. Here is my two cents.

1) what can you see yourself doing 5 years from now?
    2) what are the job prospects in the field you are looking at...don't look at national stats though...look at what your area is doing.
    3) not knowing what type of school your are currently attending....what us your time table to finish school....ie how long do you want to go to school..national average for a 4 year degree is 6.3 years.
    4) of the programs of study you mentioned..and assuming the job prospects are good
    In your area....which one of the two feel right to you?

hope this helps...answer the questions focusing on the outcome you want and this should help!

10. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Was in the printing/graphic arts business for 12 years; at age 30 went to law school 'cause I didn't know what else to do with a liberal arts degree; was an assistant D.A. for 4 years; criminal defense attorney for 18 years; currently working in oil and gas. If I had to do it all over again I'd be a pharmacist.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Did my dream and became a Marine. Planned to make it a career, but ended up in a family way and didn't reenlist.

Off and on I've poured and finished concrete since I was 13. Big jobs and small. Started running a crew during the summers for the family business at 13 or 14, can't remember if it was my first or second summer on that job, the end of the first...

Bounced around quite a bit after the service and went back into the concrete business. Also did pipelining. Security. Furniture assembly and delivery. General handyman/maintenance for some rentals.

Went to school for forestry, and was hired for a paid summer internship out of Golden Colorado last year. Ended up getting divorced and moving to Louisiana and sold cars last summer instead.

Now work in water treatment for West Monroe. Great job, awesome benefits, great fringe benefits, ****ty pay.

12. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It was easy to choose ,
    Commercial art , architectural engineering., drafting and design..! Did the part time thing , worked and payed for. It..!

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I was a Senior Engineer in Oil and Gas, surface and under ground mining. I loved it, I would do it all over again. :) I tried some other things early in life but like water I found my level point. Having a strong college degree is very important.:)

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My undergrad degree was Aviation Management, and I never actually used it. The hand of providence stepped in and I wound up in grad school straight out of college. I don't necessarily recommend doing that.

I think the rule of thumb today is expect 6 to 7 different careers in your working life. The most important thing is to finish the degree.

As for figuring out which direction to finish, find people working in each field in interview them. See if you can shadow them for a day or two so you can see what their workday is like. That should help. You might want to check out our site below for some other ideas.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  15. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

You just live every little kids dream with big machinery haha and to everyone else, since I'm on my phone right now, I can't quote everyone or it'd take forever! But I live in the middle of Oklahoma, weather and oil central. The University of Oklahoma is about 3 miles from my house and that will be where I will end up graduating at. I took this semester off to take a new job and to refocus as my grades sucked ass. For the 7-10 year plan, they both seem promising since I don't think natural gas or tornados will be going away anytime soon. Plus I'm completely content staying here as I've been here my whole life

16. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

Well.....sounds like you have answered your question then...lol. Who knows...may see you out east some day...a lot of Oklahoma boys out here in WV working oil and gas right now!

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hint: You never get rich working for someone else.

TV stations don't pay that well. Ask the local channel weatherman.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

What I've learned "don't go into a career just because it and/or the education for it are easy for you". I would've been much more satisfied as a teacher. Another lesson I've learned is that part-time and side jobs are a good way to find other career options.

I agree on the pharmacist suggestion; I have a step-nephew enjoying that career and have worked many FAT tax returns for pharmacists over the years. Financially rewarding, can have flexible schedule, and can almost always pick up extra shifts in any decent sized city.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I bought land with the hopes of building a racehorse training center. Little did I know my health would go to hell. Now I grow hay for racehorses. While farming is not as exciting as training horses it actually pays better over the long haul. I was working offshore as a oil rig roughneck when I learned there were no old men on the rig. I stayed offshore without a break until I had the money to pay cash for the first parcel of land I owned.

20. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I wasn't wanting to do the TV weatherman thing, not much of a people person nor do I enjoy being filmed. I was looking more toward the weather center we have here