Career change

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Zombiegirl, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I am seriously considering leaving teaching. The politics involved is mind numbing and I'm tired of all of the responsibility falling on me and none on the child and the parents. I have been out of the regular work world for almost 12 years and have a Masters Degree in Education. What type of job would I be qualified for? I'm very trainable if a company were willing to hire me.

2. shadamai

shadamai New Member

What is your undergraduate degree?

At the least, you would be qualified for jobs that require a non-specific four year degree.

Keep in mind that if you leave teaching and your license expires, it will be more difficult to renew it (especially if you are working full time).

Since I left teaching, I have had two jobs that have nothing to do with either of my degrees (go figure). The first was related to a hobby of mine (so I had some non-professional experience) while the second field I had no experience in; the position just required at least a four year degree. Both jobs provided training, though they pay less than what you are making now if you are teaching at a public school. There are things out there, though the job market isn't what it was several years ago. I applied to a lot more places and got a lot fewer responses while job searching earlier this year. I would recommend to consider things carefully and make whatever decision you think is best for you. I know it can be frustrating sometimes. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My undergrad is in education but I took a lot of math courses. Not sure if they would help. I'm just burned out and tired. If I could transfer schools, I would be happy but they keep me here because I do a good job.

4. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Hopefully you will have a significant upcoming break and can rest and relax a bit!

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

How about doing private tutoring. Or becoming a teacher to children who can't attend school because of medical reasons. You don't necessarily have to give up teaching. Just take it to the private sector. Could you put an ad in the newspaper or online saying you are available for one on one teaching? Maybe someone who wants their child home schooled but wanting a teacher to do it would be something you could do.

Before you change careers, I would look to see what you could do while staying in your career.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am having very little success finding a job in my chosen field, too, and I am wondering what else I can do to get myself employed again. [​IMG]

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

After doing homebound for my student that passed away, I don't know if I could do that again. I believe that if I could change Districts I would feel better. The problem is that teaching is a job where the higher degree and more experience you have works against you because Districts want to hire the cheaper teachers.

7. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Are you considering doing anything else or just wanting to stay in that field?

I wish both of you much success in the employment arena. I was unemployed for a bit at the beginning of last year and it was very stressful.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

That's how it is in all fields, I believe. And I also believe that's why I am currently unemployed. You can do private teaching with other students other than terminally ill. There is always a variety of reasons why a child can't physically attend school.

Yes, being unemployed is very stressful. :(

9. Alicia

Alicia New Member

I left teaching 4 years ago. I loved loved loved what I did, but we moved to a different part of the state and I hate the school district here as a parent, I think I'd go insane to actually work for them. I pulled my 4th son out of ese preK and stayed home with him and the youngest. This year the youngest went off to kindergarten so they're all back in school now and I started really trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up lol. My husband is pushing me to recertify and go back to the school system but every time I walk out of my 7 yr old's IEP meeting I know there's no way I could work as a special ed teacher in this county. For now I'm working as a ropes course and zip line attendant at a local attraction. I call it my mid life crisis job. Outside and fun, it totally works for me for now.

I hear what you're saying about having a student who passed. I taught kids who had severe and profound disabilities and have lost too many over the years. It's weights heavy on your heart. Knowing I've made a difference in someone's life helps me feel a little better, but doesn't make it any easier.

What about private school? Or tutoring? Is there a virtual school where you live? We have that here in FL and I've known some teachers who were very happy going that route... Just throwing things out there, I never taught regular Ed, there aren't a lot of options for the population I prefer to teach besides the school system.

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I could never do private school because it conflicts with my beliefs. A charter school would be an option. The problem with my current District is that because it is an affluent area, the State gives less money which means class sizes are bigger etc. I see 150 kids each day and it's tiring. It's a live/hate relationship. If the administration was tougher with discipline my job would be easier.