Career Advice

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Feb 17, 2014.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

So, I've posted a couple different threads similar to this before. But not quite the same, so I'm not re-opening them.

I am currently due to get out of the Marine Corps in the beginning of 2017. I can put in a request to get out up to a year early, which would make my EAS (End of Active Service) in early 2016.

I do plan on getting out. Few things you can say will persuade me to stay in. I've considered all the reasons for staying in already. I've also considered going into a different branch.

The military isn't what this post is about. It is about finding a job as a civilian. Not just finding a job, but having a job when I EAS.

My background is in Logistics. My current MOS is in a different field, and if at all possible I will be trying to get a job in my current field.

However, I am still working on my Bachelor's degree, and may or may not have it when I EAS in approximately two years. In my current field, it is very difficult to find a job without a Bachelor's degree.

So, I am considering working in the Logistics field when I EAS until I can finish my degree and work in my current field.

Can any of you give advice in this regard? What jobs pay better, what certs should I look into getting, etc etc etc. For what its worth, I will be living in NC near a large sea-port.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Ever consider a career on LE?

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

I accidentally sent the post too early. I edited it later.

Yes, I have considered LE. My only issue is I don't plan on doing this temporary career track permanently. In that regard, I want to be doing something where I can earn the most money possible for a few years. (I know, I know, we all want to earn as much money as possible. My point is I'm willing to do just about any job that pays relatively well on a temporary basis, and the goal for the temporary job is not fulfillment, but pay and benefits).

Also, I don't think I have the patience for LE.

4. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

You defiantly won't get rich off a LEO salary

5. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A friend of mine , when I lived in Texas, was a retired logistics SNCOIC in an Avionics billet,,, he was working for as the parts mgr. at the company I worked for then and when he put out his resumes' , he had several offers from freight and delivery companies,, when he left our place he was going to work for a large company that has brown trucks at a very good salary, they wanted someone with that experience that would need minimal training, something of this nature may fit your needs.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. So you're saying be a UPS delivery driver? Or did I completely misinterpret what you're getting at?

7. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I know there are several boat makers such as Parker and Grady white in the area that ship nation wide that might have openings in logistics. I work in ENC at a pre-cast concrete company and from what I have seen some college mixed with millitary is as good if not better than a BS. especially if you intend to finish your degree. Look at MT. Olive College. With all the millitary in the eastern part of the state they have several programs that help adults finish their degrees.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost all delivery, pickup, and utility companies have a department that focuses on increased efficiency (logistics.) Like air traffic control for drivers. They design garbage truck routes, mail routes, coordinate shipping, etc.
    You rarely see bobtail semis on the road anymore. They deliver one trailer and bring another back.
    Boring work that pays well.
    Or you could be an air traffic controller. Pushing tin. :)

no offense and none taken

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Check the Federal jobs website for logistics with the US Gummint. You get veteran's pref on the selection, bennies are not bad, and a Federal worker is like a rifle with a missing bolt (can't fire it). My youngest son was working in the classified property section for Defense Genl Supply Center, making decent $$$.

10. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

JW,, he was a route manager, he was responsible for incoming and outgoing items, making sure the drivers had their schedule of packages for delivery, made sure that businesses and manufacturers in the area had their items for shipping and receiving at the proper times,, duties of that nature.

11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Forest Service has a logistics lead on every incident team sent to large fires. They also plan and develop responses in the cold season and order stock for the incident warehouses scattered around the nation.

FEMA also has logistics people.

As a veteran. federal agencies have to come up with justifications not to hire you if you are even remotely qualified.

12. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

What is the current field you are in now? I agree with the federal route with the logistics field there are always slots available and decent upward mobility. I ask what field your in now because a lot of agencies have student postings where you do that job while getting being enrolled in your program most of those have a step program like you go in as a gs5 after a year promoted to gs7 and reach full potential upon graduation as a gs9 also a lot of the agencies have tuition reimbursement so you can save your post 9-11 towards a grad degree

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You can always start a drug cartel. :eek:The US government will even give you free guns.;)

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Government Contract Work.

Any contractor has to pay what the DOL Wage Determination Statement says for the area you are looking to get in.

(And the Rock Island Arsenal Illinois may have a contractor that could meet your needs. http://www.ria.army.mil/sites/about/employment.cfm)

15. indy36

indy36 New Member

Google "Freight Broker". I've got a buddy that does this based out of Chicago.

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

It may not be what you want or where you want to end up, but Fred W. Smith, founder and CEO of Federal Express served in the Marine Corp. from 1966 - 1969. That info. may serve you well. Check Wikipedia for more info. on him.

17. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

This is very true. My father (in his late 50's now) is a supervisor for a construction company that specializes in Gov. contracts. Has been for last 20 yrs or so.

I have no idea how much money he makes because I don't even think he has to keep track anymore. It's damn near ridiculous. LOL

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

Lots of good tips. Thanks y'all.

Since I am essentially starting from square one in a couple months for my Bachelor's degree, I'm considering an online IT degree. Ready, go.

19. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

To get anywhere in it you need to constantly go to school for continuing education. My original job in the army was radio comsec repair I had to learn how to fix all sorts of high tech gadgets that controlled frequency hopping and satellite radios everything that I learned there is now obsolete and that was about 10 years ago. Like I said federal is the way to go usajobs.gov is a pain to get used to you have to use keywords in your resumes to get a better chance of getting selected you have to know what hiring authorities you fall under and you have to read all of the announcement so you know what paperwork you need to scan in but once your in its regular step increases every year and it's impossible damn near to get let go